What's new

Will You Watch the Superbowl - Predictions??? (1 Viewer)

Will You Watch The Superbowl

• Total voters

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I loved band (but was more a choir nerd) and liked marching well enough but it'd have been much better if we'd not had to attend football games or march in parades. Marching competitions were fun but we didn't do those often. Our fb team did very well one year and made it to the playoffs. We had to march on Thanksgiving day - at a town 4 hours away - not an overnight trip - cold and snowy. It totally sucked.

Feel ya. I played oboe during the regular season and was actually good enough to be offered a full ride college scholarship. I did a lot of those ancillary performances too. For the most part, I loved it. It was attention/recognition and at a young age! Ultimately I chose the Navy and don't regret it. I shot up so much ordinance for free, and then there was the [also free] travel. Good times.

Still, in my day at least, the band worked at least as hard as the football team and that did "suck" at times.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Feel ya. I played oboe during the regular season and was actually good enough to be offered a full ride college scholarship. I did a lot of those ancillary performances too. For the most part, I loved it. It was attention/recognition and at a young age! Ultimately I chose the Navy and don't regret it. I shot up so much ordinance for free, and then there was the [also free] travel. Good times.

Still, in my day at least, the band worked at least as hard as the football team and that did "suck" at times.
Interesting... One of my college instructors was Dan Ross - the guy who invented and developed the Ross gouging machine, which I'm sure you've used at some point. He's a superb oboist. I was there on a voice scholarship (My Sr. year in HS I ranked #1 1st Tenor in State Competitions). There are many reasons why I gave that up for broadcasting.

And the band never got half the recognition as the football team for all that work!

To put things back on track... a former coworker is a *huge* Patriots fan. He'll be watching and, of course, says the Patriots will win.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The BEST thing about the Super Bowl is the traitor Chargers won't be in it. It will be doubly delightful if the other LA team wins. Hahahahahahahahahaha.
Yeah, I would take pleasure in the Rams winning. LA Voldemort fans, you got a good tast of what the franchise is like. Get used to it.

I do find the "Patriot hate" rather humorous. There is certainly a crowd of people that really seem to dislike them. They have a laundry list "reasons" why they do, it is never simply "they are successful so I hate them," although I feel at the core, that is what it comes down to
I don’t hate the Pats but I do respect them. They seldom beat themselves, they seldom get blown out, they are always competitive. I am bored with them. I tried to adopt them as “my” team and found I couldn’t do it.

I’ll be watching the game. I’m a fan of the AFC and willl probably be rooting for the Pats. I always root for the AFC team, unless it’s the raiders, that hated raiders.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
If the RAMS win the Super Bowl, I will watch the replay on NFL Network.
Watching the Patriots takes the FUN out of football for me.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I'll probably peek in about the 4th quarter to see how it's going. Not a football fan; just rooting against Brady.

Basketball is really the only game for me. The opening weekend of the NCAA Tournament is the best weekend of sports every year.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Most likely won't watch. Tired of the "Brady Bowl" and the hysterics surrounding it. Folks can say that one bad call shouldn't beat you but this was about as bad as it can get and poor officiating shouldn't determine the outcome of a game. Also all of the non football related BS has left me and the NFL at odds. I'm sure they won't miss me and I can admit that I will just miss them a tiny bit.

My prediction: The commercials will underwhelm, the halftime show will suck, Brady will be protected by the refs and maybe throw only one or two hissy-fits. Oh, and he will most likely win.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's about how I feel about it. I grew up in Connecticut, but I hate all Boston teams as most of my teams are located in NYC Metro area.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Not a huge NFL fan anymore but I often watch the Superbowl, mainly because I have a lot of sports fan buddies and they sometimes come over to watch the big game at my house, as I usually have the biggest screen of the group.

This year, we're in a new house so me and the guys (and the wife, who likes sports, too) will watch the game projected onto my cheap but effective 120" screen. Of course, the game starts at 8:30a.m. Monday morning, Osaka time, so we'll be munching on some French toast and bacon instead of the usual Superbowl Sunday fare. Can't say I'm overexcited about seeing the Pats yet again...but at least I'll have someone to root against. ;)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Since they're in the NFC East, The Patriots are all but guaranteed a Division Title each year. Other divisions [NFC South where I live] are much more competitive. Then there's "Deflate Gate" but let's not go there.

Are you sure about that? I thought the Patriots were of the AFC East.

Which is why I'm not making a move to watch a minute of it-- I know that one person disagreed with me on the last one when I said I would more likely see the 49er dynasty of before than the Patriots one now (saying that the Patriots dynasty now is better), but (albeit that person has the freedom to be of that opinion) that still stands; in fact, I have Super Bowl XVII from Jan. 30, 1983 (Miami/Washington) on DVD from Warner Bros.' release of the Washington Redskins 3 Greatest Games, and that one (with the real greatness of that Hall of Fame Redskin RB John Riggins) will more likely get my eyes than the travesty of a game that I certainly believe this New England/L.A. game will be!

redskinsdvd.jpg

Also, here is NFL Films' program about that great Super Bowl:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Are you sure about that? I thought the Patriots were of the AFC East.

LOL - Of course not. How can I be sure of something that's factually incorrect. It was a "brain lapse." Thanks for the catch. [Get the football parlance?] :)

Which is why I'm not making a move to watch a minute of it-- I know that one person disagreed with me on the last one when I said I would more likely see the 49er dynasty of before than the Patriots one now (saying that the Patriots dynasty now is better)

Agree 100 percent! To each their own but football back in the day was a whole different experience for me. It was a beautiful thing to watch as opposed to the heavily sanitized and questionably officiated games we see these days. If you go by the stats alone then sure, the Patriots are the shit. On the other hand, If you put a bunch of neutral fans in a room and showed them both the Patriots highlights and the 49er's highlights [in their day] I doubt the former could hold up.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I agree that today’s game has been sterilized to the point of ruining the game- the roughing the passer calls have been ridiculous lately. My prediction is the league, within the next decade, will make any hits on the QB illegal. I will have stopped watching the sport by the time this happens.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Speaking of Super Bowl.

I got a good chuckle out of seeing The Dude return for a new ad. :)

Jeff Bridges, right? I think he's awesome but Nick Nolte might have been a better choice IMHO.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have watched every Super Bowl since the Colts beat the Cowboys on Jim O'Brien's last second field goal way back in Super Bowl V, so I will be watching. For the past several years, we have hosted a few neighbors and friends for the game, and will be doing so again this Sunday.

As for the Patriots, I am somewhat conflicted. I am a lifelong Steelers fan, but also a lifelong Michigan Wolverines fan. So, I pull for Brady the Wolverines alumnus, but I am tired of the Patriots winning. I do respect the hell out of what Belichick and Brady have accomplished, though. I don't care about the Rams -- they are just another team to me. I will probably end up rooting for Brady to get one more ring -- the Maize and Blue flows too strongly through my veins to overcome.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
I will watch. I do every year. Partly for the commercials, although there was a special on CBS a few days ago about the funniest SB commercials ever, which showed painfully unfunny commercials. I usually don't watch the half-time show. Never watch the post game festivities (except when my team wins -- 'Skins, so it's been a long time). I will also be rooting against the Pats -- historically I root against dynasties, unless they are already my team.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Tivo is offering game skip for the game. So if you record the game you can skip the actual game portions and just watch the commercials. :)
That’s an interesting idea- the league and its sponsors want as many people watching as is humanly possible, so the watchable commercials, the 30 minute long halftime acts, and whatever other hoopla that comes along with the Super Bowl is taylored for the people who don’t normally care about the league. I’ve never cared about who sings the National Anthem or performs during halftime (I skip right through the song and dance when I DVR the game).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation239
Recent bookmarks