What's new

Will you be rushing into the new Hi-Def formats in 2006? (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Not going to touch it for at least a couple of years (unless the current set-up blows up/gets stolen and I *have* to buy a new system). Several reasons:

(1) as with all other new exciting systems, I'll let someone else do the beta testing and then reap the benefits. I've yet to see a new format that didn't offer a massive improvement and price drop when it came to the second wave of equipment.

(2) all the objections raised above

(3) I don't think the difference presented makes it as compelling a 'must buy' in the way that e.g. DVD was better than VHS.

(4) here in the UK the issue is compounded by the fact that we don't get HDTV transmissions until this year, and it looks as if at first they are going to be only on a limited range of channels (bear in mind that the improvement afforded by HDTV over broadcast PAL is far less than over broadcast NTSC, so there has been less impetus to bring in the new system)

Accordingly, I'm going to let the dust settle. Yes, I'll buy in to it later (probably when I also get a TV that will play HDTV signals).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I jumped into DVD fairly early (1998), but I'll be waiting on the sidelines for awhile. My reasons (all of which have already been listed by others):

1. My five year old HD-ready display has no DVI or HDMI input, so it's unlikely I can take advantage of either format without an upgrade.

2. I'm waiting on upgrading my display for at least another year -- maybe two.

3. First generation players will probably be buggy, and will certainly be much less expensive in a year or two.

4. Judging from DVD software release history, the first discs released in either format will probably be bare-bones and later "double-dip" releases will also improve video/audio transfer quality.

5. I want to make sure this format war will not result in both formats flopping like SACD and DVD-Audio have in the audio world. I will wait for a winner to emerge. The early favorite appears to be Blu-Ray, but I'm still not 100% convinced that either format will make it.

6. A lot of my DVD collection is older Academy ratio films, which will probably benefit less from an upgraded format and also will probably not be among the first titles released.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I bought my first DVD player in the fall of 1997 for the "bargain" price of a mere $500 and was thrilled to do so. But I have no plans for messing with any hi-def DVD format for at least a few years. The looming format war, the high price of equipment, the lack of titles and various other issues raised above have all convinced me that this is not something I have any need to rush into. In fact it was because I had decided to give hi-def DVD a pass for at least the next few years that I saved a bunch of money and went with a 720p JVC D-ILA as the centerpiece of my reconstituted home theater. HD programming and my current DVDs look fantastic on this set, SD material looks fine, and with what I didn't spend on a possibly-not-compatible 1080p box I was able outfit my home office with a 32" LCD/HDTV computer monitor and my bedroom with the 27" version of the same set (for use with my laptop.) I've also moved my Philips 6 disc changer to the office and am replacing it with a Sony 400 disc changer that will hold most of my current CD and DVD collections.

While hi-def DVD is sorting itself out, prices are coming down to something manageable and 1080p is becoming a real and affordable feature, I'll getting the most out of my current DVD collection and watching better-looking television that I've ever seen before with my old analog Toshiba RPTV. I don't think I'll be missing much with Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, whichever wins the format war. (And I suspect there will be one winner in the end. I'd rather not end up with the hi-def equivalent of a stack of Beta tapes, thank you very much.)

Regards,

Joe

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I have the capability with my current set (Tosh 57H83) to take advantage of the next-gen players through DVI-HDCP, but I am still waiting this year out. At first I felt certain I would go the Blu-Ray route, but after seeing the announcements of titles for both formats that I would want, it pretty much solidified my decision to wait. I am not buying two players. I am still very pleased with the look of SD DVD on my ISF-calibrated set. The occasional disc still floors me, like the new Toy Story 2 release. I also have HD cable, which helps me scratch the HD itch. I have HD prints of Blade Runner, Dune, Winged Migration and many others on my DVR. That will tide me over.

Also, to be honest, I'm not too enamored with the Blu-Ray package shots posted on Digital Bits. I don't want every case I have to be blue, and I see no spine information.

I never thought I'd be less excited about the format after the titles got announced, but that's exactly how I feel right now. I will only be getting a PS3 when it comes out if there are launch titles that I want (like a new GTA), and even then I doubt I will use it for movies.

I think I'll use 2006 to get through the massive amount of SD-DVD's I haven't watched yet.

PaulEB

Stunt Coordinator
I am not in any hurry to buy into the High Definition formats. My projector is equipped with an HDMI/HDCP interface, so I guess I'm ready to accept a player that will provide protected high definition content. But like many other people here, I am very satisfied with the current DVD standard with my up-converting player.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Not until one format wins or they make a machine that can play both. Still need to upgrade my 4x3 TV before then too.

dailW

Stunt Coordinator
i am going to wait .if they can make a dvd/vcr combo they can come out with a dvd-hd/blu ray combo machine.that way everyone wins.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I might buy a Blu-Ray if it allows component. But otherwise, not a chance until the HDMI-crack boxes come out and are on eBay for $19.95.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I'm starting to save up now for a Blu-Ray player. I want to see the full potential of HD on my display. I just hope that the studios and the manufacturers have the decency to allow full High Def through component for those who don't have HDMI/DVI.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
I'll wait for reviews of software for PQ/AQ, then purchase software titles from either format as they are released. As for hardare, I'm waiting for a 2nd or 3rd generation hybrid player. I'm thinking 2008 before I take the hardware plunge.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
If I do jump in on a format, Blu-ray would be the one. I have no interest in HD-DVD no matter what price point they bring it in at. I want a format that has legs, not one that appears to peak at only mid stride of Blu-ray (45GB 3 layer vs. 50GB 2 layer and 100GB 4 layer).

It will be awhile before those sized discs start getting used, but at least we know it is possible.

It is most likely that the PS3 will be my first BD player that I will get reguardless.

There are still details that we don't know about which can change my plans. One is downrezing over component. I have two HDTV's, neither support HDCP. I plan on replacing the projector this year so I will eventually end up with HDMI inputs and once 1080p sets come down below $2000 I'll probably upgrade to that as well. So that would delay my support of the media side of the format. We also don't know the pricepoint at which these titles will be sold at. Under $30, I'm in. I would stop buying new releases on DVD all together.

I will never buy a standalone HD-DVD player unless it is the decided winner and BD goes off the market. I see that as being the most unlikely scenario. In the end, we may have to live with a dual format player.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Anyone else think it's interesting that with 70 votes we don't have a single vote for HD-DVD, even though it's announced at a lower price point? That seems to prove that the market for HD-DVD will largely be the non-HT enthusiast looking for the cheapest way into hi-def DVD.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Count me as another person who'd normally be a fairly early adopter who has the brakes on. I want a single format, and a guarantee that there is no consumer-unfriendly copy protection bullshit on that single format. That may take years to happen, and it may never happen, but until it does, I'll be watching my current dvds happily.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Sitting this one out for all of the main reasons already covered. Plus I'm still satisfied with the current DVD format which equates to no overwhelming desire to start upgrading my collection.

I might feel different in 12 months or so but as of right now - NO SALE. :D

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Like others have said, I'm waiting until the dust settles. If anythying, I'll have a Ps3 as my first hi def disc reader, but probably not before the end of 2006.

I'm waiting. I owned Pioneer's first DVD player 2 weeks after it came out. I had a laser disc player for five years before that. I have very large collections of both.

Two reasons:

(1) DRM/copy protection: this stuff scares the crap out of me. I buy my DVDs and see no reason I need to be punished. I don't want to be dependant on any kind of an internet connection to be able to watch them.

(2) Format war

I really think the studios have completely shot themselves in the foot this time. I think the only major thing that introducing these two competing formats now is going to do (thanks to the above two reasons) is make people not only not buy HD titles, but also hold off on buying SD DVDs. This will probably provide a foothold for broadband/pay per view (which is my worst nightmare yet).

But they obviously aren't going to listen, so I give up. Can you tell I'm feeling really negative about this?

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I have an HD set with HDMI connection and have watched enough HD material to give me a burning desire for Hi-def DVD, but I seriously doubt I'll be buying in 06. I'll wait for prices to come down and the bugs in the discs and players to get worked out.

Plus I'm only interested in a couple of the 1st wave titles. When a Blu-Ray Kubrick Collection is released or Criterion starts putting out Hi-Def releases, then I'll re-evaluate.

Paul Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
I too was on the DVD bandwagon early on when LaserVision (?) was the web site to purchase your laserdiscs and the beginning of DVD releases. Though, I just purchased my first HDTV Panasonic Plasma for Christmas, I will try the wait & see period (But life can be too short, why wait?). However, I did catch a photograph of the new Sony HD Blu-Ray DVD player in Sound & Vision Magazine, it's hard to reisist, because it's a gorgeous piece of component furniture!:b

Sony never ceases to make beautiful Home Theater components, they always catch your eye.:emoji_thumbsup:

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
I simply cannot see myself collecting movies in yet another format unless there is a clearly superior difference from current DVD's. As it is, a large number of movies in my collection are from the 1930's to the 1950's. If HD will be a noticable difference, I'll have to rethink the whole damn thing. Cripes!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
It'll be a few years before I get into HD-DVD, around 2009-2010 I'd guess, no rush I'm more than happy with standard dvd and I'm not into giant-screens where the Hi-Def PQ will really be shown off to advantage. I have a 32inch widescreen tv and SD-DVD looks perfectly fine on it. I won't be cutting down on my dvd purchases because of HD. Well not yet anyway. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks