Will XBOX LIVE work over a college LAN?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Lutter, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Well? [​IMG]

2. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

I suppose if you can get internet access through your resnet hookup, you can access Xbox Live somehow.

I wouldn't have a clue as to how to do it, because I'm not too familiar with college internet access anymore.

3. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I am guessing I could just use a 'switch'... right? Or is it more complicated than that? [​IMG]

4. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

I'm sure a router or something would work. Do you have to log in on your PC to access the internet? Oris it like a cable modem, where you don't have to log in, and you're always on?

5. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

You'll most likely need a router. Most of the resnet setups use DHCP based on your MAC address of your ethernet card. If you plug the xbox in it won't know what to do. solution is to get a router, spoof the mac address of an already registered machine and that'll share the connection to the xbox and pc via NAT. I'm doing this with my PS2 and Powermac in a dorm and it works just fine.

6. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

And now I'll hand over all responses to Dave Bennett.
    It's all yours now. [​IMG]

7. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

What Dave said [​IMG]
    You could also d/l either the Gamespy arcade or xbconnect programs and set up your own dedicated rooms (password protected.) That way, it is just like having your own dedicated dorm server that anyone can access anytime.

8. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

One thing I forgot to mention, the whole reasoning behind the router. Even if you have a free ethernet jack, chances are to register, you need to use a web browser and point it at some university server. Since the ps2 and xbox can't run web browsers, that's why you need a router. However, if a friend has a router that you can borrow and you have a free ethernet wall jack,you can do the following. Figure out the XBox's MAC address. Plug it into the routers setup. Go to the universitys resnet page on your computer(which will be prompted to reregister since the server sees a different MAC address). Register, then unplug your computer and the xbox from the router. This way, your PC is already registered, and your xbox will now be registered as well so you can go straight to the wall. How did i figure this out? when I was having all of my router problems with socom i did this and everything worked fine. In my case, we only have two wall jacks so i needed a router or hub anyway but I know some people have an insane amount of ethernet jacks in their rooms. Hope this helped and perhaps may save you some money.