What's new

Will XBOX live only work with a router and not a switch? (1 Viewer)

ethan_l

Stunt Coordinator
I've looked on the live support site and it say that
u can either do direct connection or use a rounter
but doesn't mention a switch

anyone tried using a switch?

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
I haven't tried it, but I don't see why you couldn't use a switch in the same way you'd use a router...

ethan_l

Stunt Coordinator
well, a switch can redirect packets using the MAC address
but a rounter does it with an IP
it could be used to dynamically assign IP's too
so I guess the question is, does the XBOX need a unique IP

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Oops...my bad. In my previous post, replace "router" with "hub". I actually use my Xbox with a router.

so I guess the question is, does the XBOX need a unique IP
It needs either a static IP you (or your ISP assign), or a dynamic one provided via DHCP.

Chris Duran

Stunt Coordinator
You can use a switch, but your not going to be able to be gaming on live and use your computer at the same time, unless you get another IP address from your ISP, it would be better to just buy a router so you can just use one IP address, probably be cheaper.

Brae

Supporting Actor
Without knowing for-sure, hehe, I am willing to bet that the X-Box operating system is running a DHCP Client and is expecting to be assigned an IP address from your ISP, router, etc. I would also imagine that they might have made it possible for you to input a static IP address, which would shutoff the DHCP Client.
Chris, with someone using a broadband router that takes either an ISP-assigned IP via the ISP's DHCP server, or a permanently assigned static IP one configures to it, why cannot the broadband router's own DHCP server assign a private network IP address, like something on either the 10.0 or 192.168 networks?
I would imagine that one could game on XBL and surf the net via their computer in this manner. It'll be a month before I can experiment with this as I do not own an XB yet and refuse to buy one until certain chores have been taken cared of. :thumbsdown:

DwightK

Second Unit
xbox is working perfectly connected to my switch, as are the other 2 computers (one acting as my server/firewall) all using ICS in Win98SE. I have had the computers networked this way for a long time and when Live! came out I just plugged everything in, and voila, works.

I cannot use the same solution all you others are using as I am on a wireless 802.11b internet provider, one static IP. Everything else is assigned through standard ICS from practicallynetworked.com instructions.

So yes a standard run of the mill switch network works well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks