Will Wright's Spore video and discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Greg_S_H, May 25, 2005.

1. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    If anyone's interested in what Spore is all about, this should give you a good start.

http://www.pqhp.com/cmp/gdctv/

You can either register or get a login from bugmenot.com.

2. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Very impressive! We've come a long way from Pong.

3. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Alot of interesting potential and the game is very open-ended, but how is that going to translate down the line? I can definitely see an online experience where you have to evolve your species to survive against other players evolutions. The one question I have is after your species lays an egg, are you now making a new species or can you just "upgrade" the species you've already made?

Bruce

4. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

The way I interpreted the demo was that once you reach the point of "laying an egg" by completing certain tasks you gain the ability to alter your current status through the species editor, thereby creating what essentially amounts to a new species.

Like the saying goes, "Evolutionary rather than revolutionary changes." In any event, an interesting concept and it looks like something that carries through the entire game from single celled organism to galaxy traveller.

5. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

Personally, I like Penny Arcade's take on it. Of course, by the time it comes out, it'll probably be illegal in Kentucky, Alabama, Kansas, etc.

Seriously, though, it's everything that was missing from SimEarth. I'm excited to give it a whirl, since I'm getting tired of World War II and stealth games. However, I'm still not over rolling a sticky ball around the world for my dad the King.

6. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I'm looking forward to this. It's quirky, innovative, and new. Hopefully, the strong word-of-mouth will help it sell well.