will work for satellite advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Hugh Scrivener, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Hugh Scrivener

Hugh Scrivener Stunt Coordinator

I just recently bought the Sony 51" wide screen HDTV-ready tv. And while I get an awesome picture with DVD's I kinda feel my cable system is lacking. I may not really be telling the whole story...my 'digital' channels are superb, i.e. HBO,SHOWTIME,STARZ,MAX...although no 5.1 from Max at all...a whole different complaint all together.
    My question is....Will satellite tv really offer something more than what I all ready have? Do I need a set-top decoder to get HDTV or is this built in to the satellite receiver? And also , Is one service better than the other? Most of my TV watching is pay-channel movies, DVD's or South Park, and I really want the best quality I can squeeze out of HBO, SHOWTIME, etc.
    Any and all help is appreciated

2. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

Each person has their own preferance between Dish and DirecTV (I prefer DirecTV). But whichever you choose, your HD channels are going to be limited. Right now DirecTV has HBO-HD, Showtime-HD and HD-NET. HD-Net comes "free" with a basic subscription. HBO-HD comes "free" with the HBO package and SHO-HD with the Showtime package.

Although there are only three channels, the image quality is definetly worth moving away from digital cable. You just cannot beat a high-def image.

In order to receive HD signals you have to buy a satellite receiver that has an HD receiver built in. You don't have to purchase a seperate set-top decoder, the satellite receiver will do it for you. The satellite receiver will also decode OTA (over the air) HD signals if they are being broadcast in your area. This will give you the local channels in high definition (again, if they are broadcasting in your area).

3. Michael St. Clair

Hugh,

Who is your cable company?

4. Hugh Scrivener

Hugh Scrivener Stunt Coordinator

I'm on Adelphia Digital in Central Virginia. According to the people on the phone we're one of their 'premire' systems, recieving all they have to offer. About 2 years ago they replaced every inch of line in the county...I am a lineman for the county...sorry, broke into song there. Except the line to my house, which I had the entire path from pole to converter boxes/tv's re-placed, the first time in over 15years and it made an incredible difference. I'm just wanting to get all I can from my new tv.
    I have noticed that Showtime states certain movies are available in HDTV and 5.1 where available, I get my 5.1 signal....with a set-top decoder would I recieve these movies in HDTV? I know its kinda up to whether the cable system passes through the signal, ,I suppose its the same for 'local' broadcast as well, we have 2 fully digital channels broadcasting in the area, a CBS affiliate and I want to say the UPN....commercials in my programs give me an up-set stomach so I don't spend too much time in the shallow end of the pool....the real fun starts at 100.
    Anybody out there using a set-top decoder with Adelphia Digital Cable? What are you getting....if anything?