Will wood cabinets sound much better?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RussDAL, Mar 11, 2003.

1. RussDAL

RussDAL Extra

I have a set of HTD Level Ones that I picked up for 35.00 for the set. Although they sound really good (to me at least) I want just a little more out of em. A buddy of mine told me that they would sound alot better if I made some wood cabinets for them. I can do this at no cost to me as I have access to a fully stocked wood shop. My question is can I really expect better sound or will the sound get worse.

2. Walt Park

Walt Park Stunt Coordinator

Probably worse. Particle board is used because the density is uniform, and it deadens any sound coming from the cabinet, since you want to hear the drivers, and not the box. A plywood has some gaps between the layers, and a solid board is not uniformly dense.

A cabinet for the most part just has to not flex. Sometimes the insides are not square to try to reduce constructive/destructive interference, but I'm not sure I buy that, since unless you're listening inside the box, I'm not sure it matters.

Anyway for the most part the box should just be stiff and have the right amount of air inside for the design without vibrating/buzzing. Maybe thats too simple, but my guess is that you'd be better off making a better speaker than trying to make cheap speakers sound better.