What's new

Will Wharfedale Diamonds be Ok with Denon 3805? (1 Viewer)

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking to change my speakers, but am short on funds. Until I can get a really great audiophile system, I was thinking of going with Wharfedale Diamond 8.1's, which can be purchased very inexpensively.

The only problem I see is that the Diamonds are at a nominal 6ohms impedance, and have an 86 db sensitivity rating. Do any experts out there know if this will be a problem with the Denon AVR-3805? Thanks in advance.

Arun_VK

Auditioning
Real Name
Arun_VK
Larry,

I have a pair of Diamonds (bought for my son) and I have driven these with a couple of very different receivers - one (Yamaha Stereo) spec'd at 35RMS/channel into 8ohms and the other (Onkyo 6.1) spec'd at 85RMS/ch into 8 ohms. Both worked just fine. The AVR-3805 can deliver up to 120RMS/8 ohms and so I'd suggest you go easy when turning up the volume ..... you don't want to blow them up ! Be aware that the diamonds can't deliver too much base (OK for music but not for good home theatre effects during an action movie). You can augment the sound by using a cheap subwoofer from Parts Express, as an interim solution. Check these out, starting at $115 !!

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....ctGroup_ID=620

Incidentally, another alternative to Diamonds is the Miller & Kreisel Model K5. See: http://www.abtelectronics.com/product/5243.html

These are satellites and you will definitely need a subwoofer if you plan to buy them. I picked them up in a retail store for $110 each (regular $150) and use them with a 12" subwoofer I built myself with a Peerless (Danish) driver I bought at Parts Express. Sound pretty good.

Good luck

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Arun, thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it. I do have an HSU subwoofer that I plan on keeping that will go with whatever I decide to buy. The K5 also looks interesting, I'll check it out.
Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks