Will Wharfedale Diamonds be Ok with Denon 3805?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Larry Sutliff, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I'm looking to change my speakers, but am short on funds. Until I can get a really great audiophile system, I was thinking of going with Wharfedale Diamond 8.1's, which can be purchased very inexpensively.

The only problem I see is that the Diamonds are at a nominal 6ohms impedance, and have an 86 db sensitivity rating. Do any experts out there know if this will be a problem with the Denon AVR-3805? Thanks in advance.

2. Arun_VK

Arun_VK Auditioning

Larry,

I have a pair of Diamonds (bought for my son) and I have driven these with a couple of very different receivers - one (Yamaha Stereo) spec'd at 35RMS/channel into 8ohms and the other (Onkyo 6.1) spec'd at 85RMS/ch into 8 ohms. Both worked just fine. The AVR-3805 can deliver up to 120RMS/8 ohms and so I'd suggest you go easy when turning up the volume ..... you don't want to blow them up ! Be aware that the diamonds can't deliver too much base (OK for music but not for good home theatre effects during an action movie). You can augment the sound by using a cheap subwoofer from Parts Express, as an interim solution. Check these out, starting at $115 !!

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....ctGroup_ID=620

Incidentally, another alternative to Diamonds is the Miller & Kreisel Model K5. See: http://www.abtelectronics.com/product/5243.html

These are satellites and you will definitely need a subwoofer if you plan to buy them. I picked them up in a retail store for $110 each (regular $150) and use them with a 12" subwoofer I built myself with a Peerless (Danish) driver I bought at Parts Express. Sound pretty good.

Good luck

3. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

Arun, thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it. I do have an HSU subwoofer that I plan on keeping that will go with whatever I decide to buy. The K5 also looks interesting, I'll check it out.
    Thanks again!