What's new

Will we see more of King of Queens & Who's The Boss?? (1 Viewer)

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
I hope Sony Home entertainment is not going to leave us hanging with regards to these shows. Anyone know if there are plans to continue these??
I would imagine that K.O.Q. has sold well enough to guarantee a season 3 release at the least.

Joshua Lane

Second Unit
King of Queens might have music issues... it certainly seems to be a trend these days with Columbia Tristar. Of course, it could also be their completely unpredictable release schedule.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
You'll see an announcement for "The King of Queens - The Complete 3rd Season" before the year is over. Release is to coincide, I presume, with a new film Kevin James is in (starring Will Smith!) in February.

Mark_Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
if they hadn't waited so long, they would be releasing season 4 or 5 to coincide with the new movie.

Rodrick

Second Unit
I dont think K O Q will sell well at all if they don't bring it to Canada the BC area. Its too hard to buy off the internet. After everything it ends up cheaper just buying it here if it comes out.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

It seems to be doing ok for itself now in spite of this fact.

This brings to mind a question. When we're talking about sales results for a certain show, are we talking specifically about sales in the United States or are we talking region 1...or further?

Hypethetically, say M*A*S*H sold 500,000 units for season 1, is that only in the United States, just in north America or world wide.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i don't think canadian sales are THAT significant :)

and ordering from amazon.com is just as expensive/cheap as futureshop. especially when you consider the favorable exchange rate and lack of GST.

btw, i can't WAIT for more KoQ. bring it on!!!!

John McM

Second Unit
I am kinda surprised WTB sales have been so poor. I am not a fan of the series (I only like Tony Danza on Taxi), but if you peep over at forums like Sitcoms Online, WTB? is such a popular show over there that it's surprising that sales weren't so good to rush out a s2 immediately.

LindseyS

Stunt Coordinator
Were the sales poor? It seemed to be doing well, especially when it was first released. Does anyone know if they're even planning an S2 release at all?

Helie

Grip
I would love to see more Who's the Boss seasons!!!I loved The Upper Hand when I was younger and love the orginal 2!

Cathy Suzan

Stunt Coordinator
Well, let me just say that I personally don't care if WHO'S THE BOSS ends it's DVD reign at only season one.There are so many truely wonderful and funny shows that deserve much better than to get a 1 or 2 season release and then nothing. In the coming months there will be thousands of season 1 releases of popular shows. A large percentage of those shows will never see a season 2 release! WHO'S THE BOSS, MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE, THE KING OF QUEENS, AND MARY TYLER MOORE are but a few examples of the frustration we as consumers get when we initially and enthusiastically buy our favorite show on dvd, and then are thrown into a pugatory like abyss when there is no news of future season releases.
Sure there are certain issues involved such as music rights and poor sales. But my advise is this to the geniuses at marketing who put out hundreds of season 1 DVD'S. DO YOUR HOMEWORK FIRST !!!! WOULD YOU ALL JUMP OUT OF A BUILDING BEFORE FIRST LOOKING TO SEE IF THERE IS A NET BELOW?? OF COURSE NOT. Also price is a big factor. M*A*S*H, with no special features other than laughtrack removal,and low price has sold well. MARY TYLER MOORE, with it's special features and inflated pricing did quite poorly. And the suits are still wondering what went wrong. I truely wonder!

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I guess this is my cue to once again mention that internet discussions are not a good indicator of how well a show will or won't do on DVD. It is due to the hardcore nature of the fans making the posts, and the tendancy for people to think that the internet exists in a world where if something is popular or believed on the internet then it is popular and believed across the board.

Secondly, we don't know that sales were poor, studios don't release such a thing. There can be any number of different reasons for a gap between releases, not all are related to sales.
Studios can only have a certain number of projects in the pipline at a given time. They only have so many people to put these DVDs together and only have so many production and replication plants to actually produce the discs. Studios don't have unlimited resources, nor do they limit what they do just to TV on DVD. For as popular as TV is on DVD, it is still not as successful for the studios as selling movies on DVD.
Music rights and other things that have been discussed several times already and don't need to be rehashed, and it only takes one song to hold up a release see Married with Children season 3.

Cathy your post is interesting. First you claim that the number of season 1 releases coming out in the next few months is in the thousands, and later you say its in the hundreds. Which is it?
It is in the studios best interest to diversify product...the studio can't just run threw its guaranteed top hit shows first because eventually they will be left with the bottom of the barrel its called balancing.
Also, suggesting that marketing people do their homework is a little simplistic. Take a show like Mary Tyler Moore which is a critical favorite, did well while it was on the air and won numerous awards. Are you suggesting that the logic of releasing it with special features at a higher price was faulty? Yes, you are, and how did you come to this conclusion? Through the benefit of hine site. In other words it is a mistake, given what we know now, but you are asking marketing people to do their homework, but what you are really asking them to do is to see in to the future.
You are saying do your homework as if it is the easiest thing in the world to determine what consumers are going to purchase and not purchase. If it were as easy as your post makes it sound no company would ever lose ground in the market place because they'd all so good at reading consumer trends. Especially in the case of Mary Tyler Moore that came out when TV on DVD was still a relatively new industry at least as it relates to classic content, and its not like there is a lot of information out there.
This is a growing process the studios made some mistakes and learned from them. The studios make some mistakes today and are hopefully learning from them in preparation for the future.

My final point is that I'm getting a little tired of this idea that all of these season one sets are going to come out and are going to fail. These sets don't need to sell millions of copies to be a success, and some season 1 set that might not appeal to me might be straight up someone elses alley. Also, yeah a lot of new shows are seeing DVD releases this year, but in the case of a lot of them coming from Paramount they already have plans to continue with shows they've already released, and to follow up with second seasons and beyond of shows that they are putting out this year.

Juan Books

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Juan
Knowing the track record of the bastards at Columbia/Sony, I didn't even bother picking up Who's the Boss, even though I used to love that show. Columbia/Sony should just drop out entirely from the DVD industry, since they can't be bothered to do business in a remotely decent fashion...

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
As far as I'm concerned, I feel that the studio which is doing the best job right now is certainly Paramount. They are marketing all their titles properly, and as enthusiasts are picking up the 1st season of their favorite show, they for the most part, don't have to wonder if it will be continued, because the 2nd seasons have already been announced (TAXI, for example)

The biggest down side for me however, is that the only title from Paramount that I'm interested in is TAXI.
It seems like everything else I want to collect is either Columbia/Sony, or Universal, which BOTH have the habit of leaving people hanging on the possibility of continuous season releases for any given show. Hence, the purpose of this thread.

TylerMC

Auditioning
I have been a fan of The King of Queens for the past year and was thinking of collecting the box sets, so I hope they release the info soon for a third season. The show is really funny and am looking foward to some purchases in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks