Will we see Moonlighting?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mark To, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Mark To

Mark To Supporting Actor

I can't believe no one has thought of this show yet. Willis is still a big star and Cybill still has plenty of fans. It's only 5 seasons so it can't be that big of a deal. Has anyone heard anything? This was my favorite show of the 80s.

2. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

It's not that no one has thought of the show yet -- in fact, there is even a pilot DVD out with commentary. I just don't know if interest is that high yet. It's a show I might buy on DVD, even though it went downhill -- as most shows do -- when they killed the sexual tension between Willis/Shepherd.

This show featured "Booger" (from Revenge of the Nerds), which makes it an instant classic!

3. MaraKM

MaraKM Stunt Coordinator

I don't think it's a consumer-interest problem -- I'm assuming it's the usual music clearance & rights muddle.

But I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

4. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

IIRC Anchor Bay released season 1 or the Pilot a few years back... Can't find it on their site though.

Anyone else remember this?

5. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

I do...

It didn't sell all that well. I'm assuming AB was using the pilot as a gauge of interest in season sets. Of course, in the late 90s, TV on DVD wasn't nearly as big as it is now.

Maybe they might reconsider.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I picked up my copy for a little over 6 dollars at Suncoast.

6. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

I saw it recently at Border's, so while rare, it's not OOP (to my knowledge).

7. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Anchor Bay originally had some Best-of Discs planned, but after delaying them a couple of times they took them off their release schedule completely because (as has already been mentioned) the Pilot didn't sell that well.

Chris

8. Mark To

Mark To Supporting Actor

Again we get to the Catch-22 of releasing something like just the pilot and then trying to gauge interest based on sales. I didn't buy it and I'm a big fan of the show. If they had released it along with the other few first season episodes I would have bought it. I'm not going to commit to a series until I know that the company is committed as well. Least of all something from the 80s which I have complete, off-air on beautiful SP masters. There were no bugs then, no crawls, no credits squeezed back in a DVE. A show from prior to 1980 I will take a chance on but just about anything I cared about since then I already have and in excellent quality. I would buy the DVD anyway just to save transfer time but no unless I know for sure I'll be seeing the whole run.