What's new

Will We Ever See.... (1 Viewer)

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
....some of these wonderful, older classic & semi-classic movies in a Hi-Def format? Already out are The Adventures Of Robin Hood and Casablanca and I see that The Maltese Falcon is on Crawdaddy's TBA list. But what about:

The complete Bogart catalog
Macao
The Charlie Chan movies
The Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes movies
Lifeboat
Rear Window
I Remember Mama
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
Psycho
Singin' In The Rain
Angels With Dirty Faces
The John Wayne catalog
THE AFRICAN QUEEN
Bridge On The River Kwai
Chinatown
Day The Earth Stood Still
Electra Glide In Blue
The Exorcist
Fargo
Forrest Gump
Gone With The Wind
High Noon
Hombre
The Universal Horror Legacy
Irving Berlin's White Christmas
It Happened One Night
It's A Wonderful Life
Kiss Me Deadly
LAURA
Lawrence Of Arabia
Manchurian Candidate (1962)
Meet Me In St. Louis
Miracle On 34th Street
Mister Roberts
Mr. Moto Collection
Murder, My Sweet
North By Northwest
On The Waterfront
Our Town
Ox-Bow Incident
Public Enemy
Sergeant York
Shane
Sorry, Wrong Number
South Pacific
Stagecoach
Sunset Boulevard
Taxi Driver
The Charge of the Light Brigade
The Reflecting Skin
Them!
The Thin Man Collection
The Thing (1951)
The Third Man
To Kill A Mockingbird
Touch Of Evil
Twelve O'Clock High
White Heat
Winchester '73
Wizard Of Oz
Yankee Doodle Dandy
Zardoz
Zulu

Given the trends for both formats and what's currently being released (and planned) it seems that most, if not all of the above, will be a long time coming - if at all. There may not be a robust market for movies such as I Remember Mama or The Ghost and Mrs. Muir but these are wonderful, delightful movies I'd like to see in Hi-Def.

To some studios I suppose the bottom line is "will they sell and make it worth our while?". While a valid concern, this certainly didn't stop them from releasing the above (except for The Reflecting Skin) on SDEF DVD's.

There are hundreds more than could be added to the above but it's meant to be a sampling of some excellent past movies that deserve, imo, HD treatment. Just a thought.

I am so spoiled by Hi-Def. That says it all.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I think its unlikely until we start seeing titles selling more than a million copies each. Then they could probably justify doing HD versions of older films that don't have the name recognition of Casablanca.

Personally I'm still buying the film noir boxed sets from Warner and Fox because I think it will be a LONG while before we will see these on HD.

Doug

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I agree it's wishful thinking on your part for the time-being. From my personal software buying habits, I refuse to buy any SD DVD release of films that's been released in the last couple of years and will buy only high-def releases of such titles, but will continue to buy SD DVD of catalog titles made prior to 2000.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
One thing is for certain, if any studio is going to lead the way with regards to older cinema on HD media, it is likely to be Warner Bros. I am afraid that we are all in for a rather long wait for more than a trickle of classic titles on HD.

Re: purchasing habits. Mainstream Hollywood releases are the main category of titles that I resist purchasing in standard definition. I still make SD purchases but primarily of older catalog titles and the occasional new film that is unlikely to get a timely HD release (such as Paris, je t'aime for instance.)

- Walter.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Buying Paris, je t'aime on SD killed me, though, since First Look has done a couple of HD-DVD releases.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Not to derail the thread, but... Yeah Jason, I know. At least Into The Wild will be getting an HD release. (I know - different distributor.)

- Walter.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

To be fair to Warner's they have done a pretty good job of getting a nice mix of older titles out on HD.

The Adventures of Robin Hood
Casablanca
Forbidden Planet
Bullitt
The Searchers
Rio Bravo
The Cowboys
Grand Prix
Mutiny on the Bounty
The Dirty Dozen
Willy Wonka
Superman
Superman 2

That's a pretty good list of older films for just 2 years of a new format. And Universal is released some pretty good catalog titles as well.

The Thing
The Sting
Midnight Run
Apollo 13
Sneakers
Spartacus (quality not withstanding)

All and all not too bad when it comes to older titles.

Doug

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
If rumors are right, Sony should rectify their situation this coming year.

African Queen: I would not expect that anytime soon. It hasn't been on DVD yet.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member

Doug, that was kind of why I mentioned them as leading the way. If the other studios performed as well as Warner Bros. in supporting a variety of HD programming, including older titles; we would have a much richer selection of titles today. ( I wasn't criticizing Warner Bros. )

- Walter.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Thankfully we can upconvert the vast number of films available on standard-def DVD. It's not HD, of course, but a solid DVD transfer of an older film looks pretty good (even great sometimes) upconverted. I'll definitely continue buying classic films as they are released on DVD (Warner's noir sets, for example)... otherwise I'd be waiting a DAMN long time to get them at all.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Sorry Walter I guess I miss read what you were getting at.

It also helps that most of the classic libraries from the other studios are owned by Warner's. MGM doesn't really have a classic library to release other than the fact that they have picked up the rights to some of the poverty row studios product like Eagle/Lion. Fox has a very nice library of classics, but they don't seem very eager to release their current hits on HD much less their classics.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ehoss67
Recent bookmarks