What's new

Will we ever see the entire Three Stooges library on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
Why can't Columbia release full sets of the shorts by the year they came out? Like all the shorts from 1941 in one set and etc. These compilation discs aren't getting anywhere.

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
I doubt it. I just wish they would restore them before they released them.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Actually, I think most of these ARE restored. Several look like they came from good elements, but it's just that the oldest may not be the nearest to the negs.

However, I'd love to have box sets of the shorts. Instead of those tiny 1-disc sets, how about some nice 2-disc sets that have about 28 shorts per set?

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I'm really sick of them just doling out the shorts one per disc as an addendum to bad Curly Joe-era features like "The Outlaws Is Coming" or the compendium "Stop-Look-Laugh" that just came out. I used to pre-order the things but I haven't bothered with the last two.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure one would really want the *entire* Stooges library....do you really want the complete Curley Joe? The Joe Besser years? Even though many of them are inferior remakes of Curly shorts? I'm all for the Complete Curly and the Complete Shemp, but even I, Stooge fan that I am, draw the line there.

Considering the pittance that Columbia paid the Stooges, and the Matterhorn-sized mountains of money that these shorts have generated Columbia over the years, you'd think that they'd put a little more effort into the releases, but alas no. :thumbsdown: :angry:

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
Imagine the sales a box set of the Joe Besser shorts would generate.

I've always felt cheated by the number and video quality of the shorts that Columbia has put on each disc.

However, I've still bought each one. Perhaps its pennance for letting my 96-card Fleer set of trading cards go the way of so many childhood toys.

What's bad now too is that the next feature film disc, "The Three Stooges Go Around the World in a Daze", doesn't even have a bonus short! I want all the shorts, the Shemps, the Joe Bessers, the inferior Curly remakes, and the DeRita features. It's just going too slow for me! And where are "Curly Classics" like "An Ache in Every Stake," "We Want Our Mummy" and "They Stooge to Conga"?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I'm pretty sure a huge chunk of the Stooges library is public domain. Unfortunately, I can't see Columbia going to great efforts to release product that would ultimately compete against $4 releases from GoodTimes and Brentwood. Sure, most anyone on this forum would spend the extra money to get quality releases from Columbia but the J6P's will pick $4 over $20 in a heartbeat.

It's One Eyed Jacks all over again.

Jeff

AlanBrom

Second Unit
Only four our five Columbia Stooges shorts have fell into the public domain, and Columbia remastered two of them for DVD ("Disorder in the Court" and "Brideless Groom"). Columbia still holds the rights to all the shorts.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
While we're on the subject...can someone please tell me if the following episodes are on DVD (sorry, but I don't know the titles):

- When Moe was Hitler - I think there were a few of these.

- When Shemp, Moe and Larry were on a submarine with a big russian guy - I think there was a cut version of this too.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure one would really want the *entire* Stooges library....do you really want the complete Curley Joe? The Joe Besser years? Even though many of them are inferior remakes of Curly shorts? I'm all for the Complete Curly and the Complete Shemp, but even I, Stooge fan that I am, draw the line there.
I do. I want all of the 3 Stooges shorts on DVD. I have seen all of the 3 Stooges shorts & I want to own all of them on DVD.

Columbia Tristar needs to understand that there is a market for all of the 3 Stooges shorts on DVD their original uncut format.

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
Columbia Tristar needs to understand that there is a market for all of the 3 Stooges shorts on DVD their original uncut format.
They also need to understand that they could put more than 6 shorts on a disc...

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Thsis an odd request, but I would like to see Fox do a widescreen streo Snow White and the Three Stooges.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Wow, okay, maybe I misunderestimated the number of Joe Besser and Curley Joe fans out there. Sorry, guys. ;)

Jalil

Stunt Coordinator
So is the colombia house dvd releases the best out there?

and as they are sold now, they are just a collection of shows put together, not a real order to it?

I remember i was getting the colombia house 3 stooges collection on vhs for a while.. heh.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
They also need to understand that they could put more than 6 shorts on a disc...
I agree. I can't understand why Columbia Tristar puts only 6 shorts on a DVD & charges around $25 for the discs.

IMO, Columbia Tristar should release all of the 3 Stooges shorts on DVD in a boxed set & also sell the boxed set in individual volumes. All 3 Stooges shorts must be on DVD in their original uncut versions & the shorts must be on DVD in the order that the shorts were originally shown in the theaters.

Also $25 dollars for a DVD Disc with only 6 episodes of the 3 Stooges is wrong. $14.95 is a better price for 6 shorts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks