Will we ever see the entire Three Stooges library on DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Travis_W, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

Why can't Columbia release full sets of the shorts by the year they came out? Like all the shorts from 1941 in one set and etc. These compilation discs aren't getting anywhere.

2. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

There could be rights issues. (Just a guess).

3. Kajs

Kajs Second Unit

I doubt it. I just wish they would restore them before they released them.

4. Travis_W

I second the restore. Hell, they look better on AMC than on DVD sometimes.

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Actually, I think most of these ARE restored. Several look like they came from good elements, but it's just that the oldest may not be the nearest to the negs.

However, I'd love to have box sets of the shorts. Instead of those tiny 1-disc sets, how about some nice 2-disc sets that have about 28 shorts per set?

6. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I'm really sick of them just doling out the shorts one per disc as an addendum to bad Curly Joe-era features like "The Outlaws Is Coming" or the compendium "Stop-Look-Laugh" that just came out. I used to pre-order the things but I haven't bothered with the last two.

7. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I'm not sure one would really want the *entire* Stooges library....do you really want the complete Curley Joe? The Joe Besser years? Even though many of them are inferior remakes of Curly shorts? I'm all for the Complete Curly and the Complete Shemp, but even I, Stooge fan that I am, draw the line there.

Considering the pittance that Columbia paid the Stooges, and the Matterhorn-sized mountains of money that these shorts have generated Columbia over the years, you'd think that they'd put a little more effort into the releases, but alas no. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Imagine the sales a box set of the Joe Besser shorts would generate.

I've always felt cheated by the number and video quality of the shorts that Columbia has put on each disc.

However, I've still bought each one. Perhaps its pennance for letting my 96-card Fleer set of trading cards go the way of so many childhood toys.

9. Thomas Kolla

Thomas Kolla Extra

What's bad now too is that the next feature film disc, "The Three Stooges Go Around the World in a Daze", doesn't even have a bonus short! I want all the shorts, the Shemps, the Joe Bessers, the inferior Curly remakes, and the DeRita features. It's just going too slow for me! And where are "Curly Classics" like "An Ache in Every Stake," "We Want Our Mummy" and "They Stooge to Conga"?

10. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

I want my Three Stoog-es! I'll have to see what's available next time I go to BB.

11. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    I'm pretty sure a huge chunk of the Stooges library is public domain. Unfortunately, I can't see Columbia going to great efforts to release product that would ultimately compete against $4 releases from GoodTimes and Brentwood. Sure, most anyone on this forum would spend the extra money to get quality releases from Columbia but the J6P's will pick $4 over $20 in a heartbeat.

It's One Eyed Jacks all over again.

Jeff

12. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

Only four our five Columbia Stooges shorts have fell into the public domain, and Columbia remastered two of them for DVD ("Disorder in the Court" and "Brideless Groom"). Columbia still holds the rights to all the shorts.

13. Dave H

Dave H Producer

While we're on the subject...can someone please tell me if the following episodes are on DVD (sorry, but I don't know the titles):

- When Moe was Hitler - I think there were a few of these.

- When Shemp, Moe and Larry were on a submarine with a big russian guy - I think there was a cut version of this too.

14. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

15. Kajs

Kajs Second Unit

16. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

Thsis an odd request, but I would like to see Fox do a widescreen streo Snow White and the Three Stooges.

17. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Wow, okay, maybe I misunderestimated the number of Joe Besser and Curley Joe fans out there. Sorry, guys. [​IMG]

18. Travis_W

That's another thing, I wonder if the movies will ever get released as well.

19. Jalil

Jalil Stunt Coordinator

So is the colombia house dvd releases the best out there?

and as they are sold now, they are just a collection of shows put together, not a real order to it?

I remember i was getting the colombia house 3 stooges collection on vhs for a while.. heh.

20. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor