What's new

Will we ever see the end of those awful snapcases? (1 Viewer)

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
There are still a lot of DVDs I want, but I refuse to keep buying those damn snappers. BTW, I like how Warner claims every title on their site has Amaray packaging. LIARS! That cardboard shit is NOT an amaray case. I should've returned the movies I bought just out of spite.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
:confused:

Joe: Warners hasn't put out any new releases in a snapper case in years.

Are you talking about older titles that have yet to be re-released in an amaray case?

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk

Of course. There are a ton of older titles I need to get (like the Police Academy series). I'm tired of those damn snappers. Everything worth a damn should've been reissued by now.

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller

But that's the thing... the Police Academy series ISN'T worth a damn. Those movies are fucking horrible.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You could always be proactive about it yourself.

Buy the cheap snapper copies (probably most are in Wal-Mart's $5 bin), scan the covers and print up new covers and insert them into Amaray cases.

I've done this for a number of snappers and they look fine.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
---
one day the contract will expire, stock will be used up or Ivy Hill will go out of business (Isnt everything these days?)
Out of 300 discs, I now have 7 snappers left and they are:

EXORCIST
DEVILS ADVOCATE
BLACK BEAUTY
THE HAUNTING
THE TIME MACHINE (1960)
which will surely become amaray soon

KRONOS and BLACK SUNDAY (Barbara Steele) on Image may take awhile

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Surely.

I only scanned and copied the snapper cases because I moved the films into slimcases to allow for more of the all-important films on my shelves.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Personally, I've never had a problem with snappers. In some ways, I find them more aesthetically pleasing than keepcases. You do have to take extra steps to protect them, though. Bags Unlimited makes plastic bags for the cardboard part of a snapper, and Critic's Choice used to sell plastic cases for snappers that protect the contents just as well as a keepcase. (Wish I could find more of them...) Even Ivy Hill will provide you with replacement trays if asked.

Even so, I'm glad that keepcases became the standard.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If all you fellas want is Amarays of those titles (that is, you are happy with the discs themselves), you might be really surprised by how easy it is to scan the snappercase (the plastic detaches easily) and re-print a high-quality copy which will slide into a plastic case. If you use clear plastic cases, scans of the inside (chapter listings, etc) will then slide right behind the outer cover and be visible when you open the case.

It's a little effort, but if the anal-retentiveness in you is bothered by some snappers on your shelves it's better to be pro-active rather than waiting on WB to do something about it!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

HERE'S a whole thread full of ideas on how to go about scanning, copying and re-sizing artwork to meet your own, personal needs.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Happily in Germany, I haven't seen any (Warner) "snappers" for the last few years. Snappers are bad if the teeth break. About the only case that I have seen snappers is on old stock - such as "Swiiss Views" but I have never seen them any more on new releases.

Another thing that I don't like are DVD Jewel cases ala CD. There are still a few small companies that issue them.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
I don't like snapper cases either, but I still have more than a shelf's worth of them. I store them together and keep them fairly loosely packed on the shelf so that their protruding tabs don't tend to catch against the neighbouring cases when being pulled out or returned to the shelf.

Anyway Warner's DVD snapper cases don't annoy me nearly as much as their "digibook" packaging for certain selected Blu-ray releases. Those things are both taller and wider than regular Blu-ray cases, so they look awful on the shelves quite apart from being liable to get damaged over time. Why Warner should want to charge premium prices for such lousy packaging is a mystery.

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit
Real Name
James Lee
My fave type of DVD case is the slimcase you see in some boxsets. Its a shame its not standard for dvd as it'd save me a ton of shelf space!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

James:

Then you should (if you haven't done so already) check out that thread I linked-to in Post #12. All kinds of examples of how to "slim down" your collection. I have pretty much downsized my entire collection and have doubled the amount of available space by doing so. You might want to start at the more recent end and work your way back.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I agree with that. Somehow, they feel more like "part" of the DVD, (like LP sleeves felt more like part of the album than CD cases do).

But, it must be a pain if a case breaks, and you can't just replace it like you can with an Amaray.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Funny thing is, I've never broken a "snapper case"'s centre spindle whereas I have a number of such broken spindles in Amaray and other cases for DVD. Besides, "snappers" are "greener"--shouldn't we be doing our part?

In all seriousness, I have discs in so many different packaging formats that I've long abandoned any hope of uniform packaging--I treat my DVD/BD/HD DVD shelves like my bookshelves: a collection of variably sized items that fit on the shelf.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
--------
yeah it was really cool when you had them all lined up on your shelf, youd try to pull out ONE and 2-3 on either side wanted to follow-usually falling on the floor. Putting ONE back the same-the plastic would catch and push a few BACK on either side back

usually the covers got scuff and wear marks on them and the covers deteriorated, the amaray were protected so that after a few year of it getting 'foggy' buy a new one; The plastic cases are recyclable-ive seen the symbol with the designation 4? I think
I thought Amaray had class because they looked like a fine book collection on your shelf. Snappers seemed like....kids toys
really, snappers were for mouth-breathers and the fine citizens living in our local Trailer parks, and as about as aesthetic as a broken lava lamp ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
absplumbing
Recent bookmarks