Will we ever see Looney Tunes on DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Emma, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Eric Emma

Eric Emma Supporting Actor

I'm thinking about buying Laserdisc for all the looney tunes episodes they have on LD, are they releasing any for DVD?

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Try out the search feature, you'll find many threads.

3. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Well since the search feature is often unavailable, I will say that apparently they are coming out (or recently have) in R2, which has sparked rumors of a R1 release, but still nowhere in sight. [​IMG]

4. Paul Penna

Paul Penna Supporting Actor

Paul
    In the interview below, Jerry Beck makes the tantalizing statement that he's "working on the DVD release of Looney Tunes."

Jerry Beck interview

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    If Jerry Beck has any part in the DVDs, you'll be treated to some fantastic stuff.

He did a lot of work on the many Warner Bros. and Turner laserdisc sets (like The Golden Age of Looney Tunes), so we could be treated to similar wonder.

6. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Looks like November might be pretty damned cool! [​IMG]

7. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

absolutely with also TLK coming out at the same time, we are in for a treat.

[​IMG]

8. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

The Looney Tunes DVDs announced for R2 never came out (but the VHS versions did/are and apparently the VHS Bugs Bunny tape looks good). The fact that the VHS tape looks so good leads people to speculate that newly restored cartoons were used (as on the Chuck Jones DVD bonus cartoons)

However, if the story of R1 Looney Tunes coming in November is true I would expect the postponed R2 DVDs will be released round about the same time. This probably means people's speculations when the R2 sets were shelved about wanting to tie in the DVDs releases to the upcoming 'Back in Action' movie were correct (the movie is due to be released in November 2003, is it not?)

However, why R2 would still release the VHS tapes, rather than waiting to cross promote them with the DVD releases and movie is something of a mystery, meaning that there may be another reason the R2 discs were shelved and people's speculations about the postponement are incorrect

So the only facts we know is the UK discs were announced, then cancelled. Everything else is just speculation.

However, I personally don't expect much from the releases - the R2 sets had 10-15 cartoon shorts announced for each 'character set' seemingly with no care taken over dates or content. I would expect the releases to match the initial specs when finally released. (Perhaps with a few supplements like concept design sketches and pencil tests).

While I know my opinion isn't going to be popular with people on this forum who are expecting vast LD type packages of Looney Tunes shorts - I can see no evidence from other Warner Family Entertainment releases that this will be the case - piss poor Scooby Doo episode selections and duplications, Batman Animated Series releases so slow that the release schedule is almost going backwards (and Hey Bruce Timm is involved with them) but perhaps more critically poor, underspecified, pan and scan (where appropriate), random 'themed' collections of Tom and Jerry cartoons - a series just as loved by cartoon enthusiasts as Looney Tunes.

9. MarkBurton

MarkBurton Second Unit

Some Looney Tunes Shorts are making their way to DVD as suppliments on other releases. Can a DVD release of just these shorts be far behind?

The Adventures of Robin Hood: Rabbit Hood and Robin Hood Daffy

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre: 8 Ball Bunny

Yankee Doodle Dandy: Yankee Doodle Daffy and Yankee Doodle Bugs

10. Eric Emma

Can someone explain to me about a Tom and Jerry release I heard? and so what up with the Looney Tunes?

11. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Warner hinted at T&J sets in 2004 and said November would see the first LT/MM sets.

Jerry Beck mentioned that the quality of the restorations is spectacular (especially for some of the pre-1948 titles he was able to see).

12. Eric Emma

That's cool....

Tom and Jerry are top on my top of my list of favorite cartoons

1. Tom and Jerry
    2. Looney Tunes
    3. Disney(not movies but Mickey Mouse)
    4. Hanna Barbara