Will we ever see legit Amos and Andy?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mark To, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Mark To

Mark To Supporting Actor

One of the funniest shows of all time. The show has already served 38 years in purgatory thanks to CBS withdrawal. Will CBS ever relent and let the show join The Honeymooners, Bilco and I Love Lucy as the 50s classic it is? Or should we just be happy to accept the lesser quality copies out there on the market? The show deserves a pardon. Anyone know if this might ever happen?

2. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

They have to edit them for political correctness and convert them to widescreen first....[​IMG]

3. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I think it is doubtful that this will ever see a big time DVD release, mainly for content reasons.

4. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I doubt it, but I was able to buy some legit videotapes at Suncoast a number of years back. It's a really great show, and I hope it does come out. The eight or so episodes I have aren't enough.

5. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg

Mainly for perceived content reasons. It really isn't what people say it is. It was actually groundbreaking in its own way, and it's a shame that the brilliant actors are ignored because of the bad image the show has.

6. Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia Screenwriter

I saw one episode, loved it. This show needs to come to DVD.

7. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

On the Amos and Andy site they have an 18 DVD collection that they claim is high quality, for $300. If interested you can check it out here .

8. obscurelabel

obscurelabel Stunt Coordinator

Larry
    The show has been so controversial for so long that it would be hard for it to escape from the controversy ... to me, the Kingfish and Andy are a comedy team no more stereotypical nor offensive than Abbott and Costello, Ralph Kramden and Norton, or Sanford and Son for that matter. The characters lived in Harlem, and the neighborhood included black lawyers (including the Kingfish), doctors, professional people, and just ordinary citizens, really not a negative image of black society at all (of course it was segregated ... but then so was the Andy Griffith show). The Kingfish was a blowhard with an exaggerated manner of speaking, but then so was George Jefferson. I think that the series suffers from people's perceptions of it, not from its actual content.