What's new

Will we ever see legit Amos and Andy? (1 Viewer)

Mark To

Supporting Actor
One of the funniest shows of all time. The show has already served 38 years in purgatory thanks to CBS withdrawal. Will CBS ever relent and let the show join The Honeymooners, Bilco and I Love Lucy as the 50s classic it is? Or should we just be happy to accept the lesser quality copies out there on the market? The show deserves a pardon. Anyone know if this might ever happen?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I doubt it, but I was able to buy some legit videotapes at Suncoast a number of years back. It's a really great show, and I hope it does come out. The eight or so episodes I have aren't enough.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

Mainly for perceived content reasons. It really isn't what people say it is. It was actually groundbreaking in its own way, and it's a shame that the brilliant actors are ignored because of the bad image the show has.

obscurelabel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
The show has been so controversial for so long that it would be hard for it to escape from the controversy ... to me, the Kingfish and Andy are a comedy team no more stereotypical nor offensive than Abbott and Costello, Ralph Kramden and Norton, or Sanford and Son for that matter. The characters lived in Harlem, and the neighborhood included black lawyers (including the Kingfish), doctors, professional people, and just ordinary citizens, really not a negative image of black society at all (of course it was segregated ... but then so was the Andy Griffith show). The Kingfish was a blowhard with an exaggerated manner of speaking, but then so was George Jefferson. I think that the series suffers from people's perceptions of it, not from its actual content.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks