Will we ever see Evita Criterion Collection on DVD???

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Phil_L, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Phil_L

Phil_L Second Unit

I do not have an LD player and never bought the big Evita LD Criterion box set. I'd love to have a DVD version with all the extras. Are there any plans for this? The current DVD is so bare.

2. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

I haven't heard anything about it. It would be really neat to see, though. I'd buy it.

3. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

The only drawback from the Criterion edition is the lack of the DTS track, otherwise the picture and sound is great and the extras are worth the $.

4. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    I doubt we'll see an SE of Evita from Criterion. Miramax is doing their own SEs now, and doing them quite well. For example, Trainspotting was long-rumored to be coming from CC, but it has now been announced as a Miramax SE reissue. I'll bet they get around to Evita eventually.

5. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

They better.

I have the DTS R3 version and the damn thing has a delay rendering it worthless. I wish I could get in contact with the company that makes it.

But I'd love to see some great extras on this one. The Criterion was good...but there was a bit too much on the actual Eva for my taste. Alan Parkers commentary put me to sleep more than once. Other than that...the PAL sped up "making of" documentary, lots of TV commercials, trailers and the music video.

6. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    I'd like to see any SE include A&E's Biography on the real Eva Peron. I watched it the a few days before seeing Evita in the theater and it really helped me understand the story and background of the musical a lot better.

This is something I would recommend watching BEFORE viewing the movie itself.

7. Ryan Wong

Ryan Wong Stunt Coordinator

Why will it be released by Criterion or Miramax?

8. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

Miramax certainly has nothing to do with this film. I'm not sure where that came from, since it's a Hollywood Pictures film. Yes, they are both owned by parent company, Buena Vista, but they are totally independent of each other. Miramax could never release a DVD of Evita.

I have the Paramount release from Japan which is anamorphic, but the sound quality is better on the Korean release (which unfortunately is out of sync). There's still no good release on DVD that I am aware of, although the Japanese is the best so far.

Jeff

9. PaulEB

PaulEB Stunt Coordinator

I hope a SE of this will be released by someone. Is the Criterion LD still available?

10. Phil_L

Phil_L Second Unit

PaulEB, as far as I know the Criterion LD boxset was quite limited and is super hard to find. It retailed for well over $100 from what I remember and it would be even more expensive on the secondhand market given its limited nature(At least that's what I think)

PS: Go Pats!

11. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

??? Why do you think so -- Criterion has released several DVDs with DTS tracks -- spectacular ones at that.

If Evita is owned by Disney, I don't think there is any chance of Criterion re-releasing it. And while Criterion (Jon Mulvaney) has gone on the record to say that they would love to release all their LDs on DVD, I would think Evita would be near the bottom of their list.

Ted

12. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

I think he's referring to the Criterion LD which did not have a DTS track. There was a seperate LD release that did have DTS.

Jeff

13. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

My bad. I have the current DVD, which is from BV. I've just assumed it was Miramax. :b It was one of the 1st discs I eve bought, back in 1998. Obviously it's been a while since I watched it.

14. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Actually, the LD set is fairly reasonable on eBay. It pops up from time to time.

15. PaulEB

PaulEB Stunt Coordinator

There is an LD on E-bay now, but it is not the Criterion release.