What's new

Will we ever see classics from Paramount? (2 Viewers)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

I was so excited when my local cable service picked up the Sleuth channel. Sadly, it has been one of the most disappointing channels in my line-up. I thought Universal would use this as an opportunity to delve into their Mystery Movie 90 minute shows (THE SNOOP SISTERS, for example) or series that have cult followings like ELLERY QUEEN.

Instead, it's been THE A-TEAM and SIMON & SIMON and MIAMI VICE repeatedly. Very disappointing.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
What we need to do is convince Paramount that John Wayne was in Wings and The African Queen.

There's a station playing black & white shows other than Lucy, Andy, and TZ?

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

RTN seems to be a network geared for a station's extra digital stations - the ones people barely know about until it's NCAA tourney time and they run the extra games on the spare signals? So at the moment these aren't the money makers. So why not run the black and white shows on this little outcast signal?

Sleuth lost all its luster for me when they finished up releasing Miami Vice on DVD. It's ability to repeat the same shows all day long. You'd figure they'd at least try to recreate the old NBC Mystery Movie Night - with the theme song and the flashlight guy. There's so much that could be done, but it seems the suits are fearful of work time getting in the way of their tee time. Just slap on another Simon & Simon episode into the mix? They could dig out the crime and mystery flicks.

with all the MTV/Paramount/CBS cable channels, you'd think they'd create an outlet for their movies. Instead they seemed pleased to put Godfather and Scarface on Spike and Flashdance, Top Gun, John Hughes titles and Saturday Night Fever on VH1. Perhaps the big question is does anyone in the cable wing have a clue about the titles in the vault outside of "the hits" that get reissued on DVD every 3 years.

IanUngstad

Grip
I'm sure that if Criterion went after Ace in The Hole and Days of Heaven, they most likely asked about The African Queen too...so who knows.

DanMel

Second Unit
I'm not sure if Paramount owns Wings still or if it is owned by the directors son William Wellman JR. I do know that it has been completly restored and it wasn't by Paramount but by Wellman. According to John Mulholland he wrote me this on it:

"William Wellman (the director's son) paid to have the print completely restored. Symphony Space here in NYC had a premiere showing a couple of years ago. Wellman told me that evening that he hoped to have it out on DVD within the year. But, still not out."

Also if anyone cares to check out John's icons radio show with Stephen Bogart they had a two part show on westerns and how the new 3:10 to Yuma was a disapointment to the original, you can check it out here. The shows are listed on the far right side of the page and listed as Meir Ribalow The Western Part 1 and Part 2.

http://www.modaentertainment.com/ICO...-Radio-30.html

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

Absolutely! Though I believe 'One Eyed Jacks' is actually owned by the Brando estate (as it was apparently owned by Brando when he died), so they might have to negotiate a licensing deal with the estate. My other concern is about how well Paramount have looked after the original elements. Apparently, the negative of even a high-profile film like 'The Godfather' was in danger of rotting away before Coppola intervened and arranged a restoration that has just recently been completed. So if that's how Paramount treat one of their most famous films, I just wonder what state the One Eyed Jacks elements might be in by now.

Richard Matich

Stunt Coordinator
seanOhara said:
What we need to do is convince Paramount that John Wayne was in Wings and The African Queen.

LOL. The line and idea of the year. We should write Paramount and say that its a shame John Wayne's best work in Wings and The African Queen is being ignored and its his birth centennial. Hahahaha.

Richard Matich

Stunt Coordinator
DanMel: Thanks for the ICONS radio site. I had no idea that it existed. Wow! I'm going to listen to all of them. :)

DanMel

Second Unit
Off topic but in answer to Richard Matich, Yes one of the hosts of the show John Mulholland is a good friend of mine and a HUGE Gary Cooper fan like myself. He ussually lets me know about rumors floating around his inner Gary Cooper circle on future Cooper releases a year before any of the companies announce them. This can be a good thing and a bad thing in a way as a year in advance is an aweful long time to wait for Vol 2 box sets from Univerisal and Warner Brothers that are slated to come out spring 2008 unless they get cancelled or something between now and then. Also, He ussually always trys to mention Gary Cooper in nearly all of his shows no matter how obsure the relationship is to the actor or actress they are talking about on the show. So I am glad you are enjoying this classic radio show that was started last April. It is a shame that Maria Cooper (Gary's Daughter) retired as vice president of Icons Entertainment just a month before the radio show started. Stephen Bogart is the President of the company based in NYC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks