What's new

Will we ever see a widescreen DVD of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang? (1 Viewer)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Turner Classic Movies is showing
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in
widescreen (looks about 2.35:1) right now,
and I had forgotten how wonderful this film is.
BUT, there is no way I am buying the current
pan-and-scan release, as even without thinking too
much about it, I keep seeing shot after shot that
would look horrible pan-and-scanned.
Does anyone have any news on this?
Mark

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Here's what MGM said in their HTF chat of March 6, 2001:
{Alex_Yang} MGM Thanks for coming to the chat tonight. My apologies if this question has already been asked...Will you be planning on re-releasing Chitty Chitty Bang Bang as a special release, with Anamorphic transfer soon? I'm a huge fan of this movie and would LOVE to see this get the treatment it so RICHLY deserves as one of my childhood classics...
{MGM} Yes, we are looking at this title for the future (2002).
So we shall see.

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
I caught tonights airing on TNT as well. I've been waiting for an CCBB:SE for a long time now. If FOX comes through with a widescreen release this year I'll be a happy man again.

Something about this movie brings back the wonder and excitement of seeing it for the first time on the big screen as a child!

I would hope for at least a widescreen enhanced transfer, 5.1 channel Dolby Digital / DTS audio, and could only hope for commentaries by surviving castmembers. I wonder if there are any archival "behind the scenes" footage ala the recent release of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

This is FOX's chance to show Warner Brother's how to get a family film produced for the fans!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
MGM owns this movie, not Fox.

Plus, Fox wouldn't have released a Super Panavision film in P&S-only to DVD.

TCM is THE best movie channel on TV. They deserve an Emmy at least for the great segments bordering each movie. AMC has its days numbered.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
A live stage version of "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" is opening soon in London, with Michael Ball (Rocky Horror Picture Show's Richard O'Brien (riff-raff) is playing the child catcher. Since this is a kiddie show, I guess we will see long lines of seven year olds paying $65.00 a ticket to get in. Now if we could only get them use to those black bars.

Maybe if people watch the widescreen version on TMC they'll see it's the better (IMO) version.

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
Whoops! Thanks PatrickMcCart. My mind was thinking MGM, but my fingers were typing FOX.

...must have been thinking about the Superbowl! :b

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
This was on CBS/FOX Video long ago before MGM had the rights to it (typical of many United Artists movies.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks