What's new

Will we ever see a Special Edition DVD of The Poseidon Adventure, how will it sound? (1 Viewer)

Steve JD

Stunt Coordinator
Since a remake of THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE is in the works at Warner Bros, I hope Fox will finally release a Special Edition DVD with all the bells and whistles, to cash in on the remake. The edition that came out a few years ago leaves a lot to be desired. Although PA was released to theatres in 70mm 6-track and 35mm 4-track magnetic stereo, the current DVD only has mono sound.

The VHS Magnetic Video release from the early 80s was mono, but the late 80s CBS/FOX Video was true stereo and it sounded very good (for VHS that is). The first widescreen LaserDisc was Stereo Surround, but the second LaserDisc release had a fake-sounding stereo track (directional effects heard in earlier true-stereo releases were gone, and the music sounded like a mono recording that had been electronically reprocessed to sound like stereo). And finally, for DVD... Tadaa! Awesome mono... (Yes, we waited for a terrific format like DVD to come around so that stereo movies could be released in mono!)

A couple of years ago during an on-line chat with Fox Video, the representative stated that they were having problems with the audio for PA, but that a DVD re-release might be a possibility. ...I'm still waiting patiently.

It's one of my favorite movies, so I hope they can include lots of extras, and use the original stereo tracks this time around. A film this popular (check out the fan sites on the net, it's incredible what a following this film has!) deserves to be heard in glorious 4.0 sound. I'd love to see a making-of documentary, commentary, new anamorphic transfer, etc.

And while they are at it with the remake, I wish Warner would release BEYOND THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE on DVD, extended version. It's never been seen in it's OAR since it's short theatrical run (It came out when I was ten, I begged my parents to take me to see it, they said "Yes. Let's go next Friday night.", but by then it had been yanked from the one theatre that was showing it, after only one week. I was crushed, but we went to see another gem instead: Airport '79 - The Concorde... LOL)

By the way, does anyone know if BEYOND THE PA has a stereo soundtrack? The Internet Movie Database states simply "stereo" for the sound mix, but the VHS releases have all been mono. Could it have been in 4-track mag stereo?

SJD

SteveJKo

Second Unit
I too find it curious that when this film arrived on DVD that it was both mono and not "enhanced for widescreen tv's". And yet "Towering Inferno" got the 5.1 remix for dvd (but still no "enhanced for wide..."). Both of these films should be revisited by Fox. But I believe I've heard there is some legal issue with the estate of Irwin Allen that's been preventing a new DVD release for both films.

Gary Palmer

Stunt Coordinator
By the way, does anyone know if BEYOND THE PA has a stereo soundtrack? The Internet Movie Database states simply "stereo" for the sound mix, but the VHS releases have all been mono. Could it have been in 4-track mag stereo?

The Internet Movie Database strikes again! BEYOND THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE was released theatrically in mono sound, unfortunately, though that probably won't stop Fox tinkering with a multichannel remix once it does reach DVD. So long as they retain the original mono version, that's all that matters.

As for THE TOWERING INFERNO, one of the possible reasons that one hasn't been given the bells 'n' whistles special edition treatment is because of 9/11. It's been four years since that real-life catastrophe, but the wound is still relatively fresh, and this is a movie which revolves around a burning building in which dozens of people lose their lives. Or maybe it's just a legal thing, as was suggested earlier...

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
The R2 UK edition has a decent anamorphic transfer, and has a "making of" featurette
its in 2.0

Tony Scello

Second Unit
I, along with many others, have been waiting for many years for improved re-issues of both Irwin Allen's The Poseidon Adventure and The Towering Inferno. The current DVD's were among the some of the first Fox releases to the format back in early 1999 if I remember correctly. Though letterboxed, these releases were not anamorphically enhanced and are, overall, lacking especially by today's standards. Over the years, Fox has said that there were audio problems with PA and that was a stumbling block only to say that they weren't even sure they had rights to these movies a year later (and that was about 2 years ago). Clearly, they are some issues related to any future releases which is a shame. I'd love to see SE's with new documentaries, features, commentaries, "TV Version" scenes, etc. The only hope for an improved version of PA seems to be a possible tie-in with the new Warner Bros. movie next year. If this doesn't happen, new, improved releases of these film may be a lost cause:frowning:

Steve JD

Stunt Coordinator
Well, it's been 8 months since my first posting, and no official anouncement from Fox yet, and the remake hits the big screen in 4 months.

Some postings at IMDB mention that a Special Edition is indeed in the works, and will apparently include a commentary by director Ronald Neame, a commentary with 3 or 4 of the stars, a new making-of documentary, and other goodies. The 2-disc set would be available around April.

Has anyone heard anything official about this...

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
maybe by the time the remake hits video we can get a Bd version of the original.

er, wait. that would be Sept or Oct and it doesn't look like Bd will be out by then, so scratch that.

i would have jumped on a remaster of this title before, but not in a transition year like this.
even if Bd does stagger to the market, it is coming eventually, and the last thing i want to do is double dip on material that i know is coming eventually.

and i would put all remastered titles into that category
(The remastered Wild Bunch is current title i would like to pick up now but won't because of this).

but that doesn't apply to the orgiginal post does it.
i don't have any info, but i would be pretty confident that Fox would capatilize on the tie-in possiblity

i would love to see Warner release BTPA too.
i'm hoping since i believe its Warner putting out the new movie that they will release that by default.
i spent most of the summer of 79 at the movies and saw the previews for it 3 or four times every trip (i would stay the whole day and theater hop)

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
I own the THX Laserdiscs of Poseidon and Towering, and am definitely going to wait for SE DVD's of these two classics.

As the two most important 'disaster' pictures ever, we can be sure that SE's will materialize sooner or later, as well as, hopefully, an uncut extended version of Earthquake.

(And how about an SE of Two Minute Warning with the ridiculous TV 'sanitized' footage as an extra?!)

MattHR

Screenwriter
Shelley Winters passed away today. The studios have always used the publicity surrounding a star's passing to promote their re-releases. Fox knew the TV and theatrical remakes had been in the works, so hopefully they had already completed some interviews (commentary?) with Winters that could be used for any new DVD, to tie in with the remakes.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

That would be nice, but I wouldn't hold my breath. She had been in frail health for quite some time. Someone told me she had Alzheimers, but I don't know that to be a fact.

Now, Hackman and Borgnine are both still going strong so both could show up on the DVD.

Steve

FrancisP

Screenwriter
There is no official release date as far as I know. Fox was supposed to be working with the estate of Irwin Allen on all of his Fox movies/series. Hopefully with Time Tunnel in Jan and Voyage in Feb, the movies won't be too far behind.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Hackman and Borgnine aren't the only surviving members of the cast. The ladies Stella Stevens, Carol Lynley and Pamela Sue Martin are alive and well and Stevens looks lovely and provides some interesting anecdotes on the Ballad Of Cable Hogue DVD interview with her.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
There is some controversy about the original sound for Poseidon Adventure. When I saw it in its original run in Manhattan, it was mono.

Steve JD

Stunt Coordinator
It played in 70MM 6-track sound in various cites (see page 2 of this thread, some moviegoers remember it well...).

I know this is not 100% proof, but I found this on the PA fan club website: "The world premiere of The Poseidon Adventure was the first attraction at the National Theatre in New York City. The film was presented in the grandeur, scope and excitement of 70mm projection with 6 track stereophonic sound."

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Hackman has never been a fan of this movie. So it seems he wont be taking part unless he is part of the Looking back feature.Anyone know why he hates this movie so much?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks