What's new

Will we ever see a Special Edition DVD of The Poseidon Adventure, how will it sound? (1 Viewer)

Steve JD

Stunt Coordinator
Since a remake of THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE is in the works at Warner Bros, I hope Fox will finally release a Special Edition DVD with all the bells and whistles, to cash in on the remake. The edition that came out a few years ago leaves a lot to be desired. Although PA was released to theatres in 70mm 6-track and 35mm 4-track magnetic stereo, the current DVD only has mono sound.

The VHS Magnetic Video release from the early 80s was mono, but the late 80s CBS/FOX Video was true stereo and it sounded very good (for VHS that is). The first widescreen LaserDisc was Stereo Surround, but the second LaserDisc release had a fake-sounding stereo track (directional effects heard in earlier true-stereo releases were gone, and the music sounded like a mono recording that had been electronically reprocessed to sound like stereo). And finally, for DVD... Tadaa! Awesome mono... (Yes, we waited for a terrific format like DVD to come around so that stereo movies could be released in mono!)

A couple of years ago during an on-line chat with Fox Video, the representative stated that they were having problems with the audio for PA, but that a DVD re-release might be a possibility. ...I'm still waiting patiently.

It's one of my favorite movies, so I hope they can include lots of extras, and use the original stereo tracks this time around. A film this popular (check out the fan sites on the net, it's incredible what a following this film has!) deserves to be heard in glorious 4.0 sound. I'd love to see a making-of documentary, commentary, new anamorphic transfer, etc.

And while they are at it with the remake, I wish Warner would release BEYOND THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE on DVD, extended version. It's never been seen in it's OAR since it's short theatrical run (It came out when I was ten, I begged my parents to take me to see it, they said "Yes. Let's go next Friday night.", but by then it had been yanked from the one theatre that was showing it, after only one week. I was crushed, but we went to see another gem instead: Airport '79 - The Concorde... LOL)

By the way, does anyone know if BEYOND THE PA has a stereo soundtrack? The Internet Movie Database states simply "stereo" for the sound mix, but the VHS releases have all been mono. Could it have been in 4-track mag stereo?

SJD

Alan_H

Stunt Coordinator
Steve, I agree with you and have also been waiting a long time for a better Poseidon Adventure release!

You may want to delete this thread and repost it in the 'Film and Documentary' section, instead of 'TV Shows'.

Steve JD

Stunt Coordinator
Dooh!

Will do!

....but I can't find the delete option, only the Quick Edit button. Can someone tell me where to find it....

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I don't think you can delete a thread yourself -- you'll just have to wait for an admin to move it (or start a new thread in the right place, and this one will get closed by an admin).

Splashy! :D

johnbr

Stunt Coordinator
I now there was a dd5.1 sound made for it.That was to come out on laser disc.Dolby even put out a ad for it. :angry:

Steve JD

Stunt Coordinator
I remember seing that many years ago. Maybe they were planning on it but never got around to doing it...

: (

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks