What's new

Will we ever see a proper version of The Jerk? (1 Viewer)

Mark Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
I was just talking with some folks at work about how funny this movie is, and to my astonishment, a few had never seen it! And they call themselves movie buffs.

It got me to thinking how much I would love to own this on DVD, but the only version out there is shinola. I refuse to buy the current P&S version. Shouldn't this classic comedy (still Steve Martin's best ever IMHO) get the DVD treatment it deserves? I remember hearing at one time in a chat somewhere that it was being considered or something, but nothing since.

Anybody got any info?

chrisMCG

Agent
I agree. I wouldn't mind seeing several Steve Martin comedies get the re-release treatment they deserve.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I also refuse to buy the current P&S edition, if they release an anamorphic widescreen version I would buy it on release day. I haven't seen it since High School, great movie.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I doubt it at this point. Univer$al seems to be leaning towards FULL FRAME transfers on thier Catalogue titles.

Seth G

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if this is the same story with Spies Like Us? I so want to pick that up on DVD, but I refuse to buy a P&S version.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I currently own the current crap version. It was one of my first DVD purchases before I knew about OAR. I own only 2 films that aren't OAR, and I have a hell of time putting either into the player even when I'm in the mood. In fact, I'm not sure that I've ever watched my DVD of "The Jerk".

That said, I would gladly buy a re-release.

....and that's all I need.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Put me down as another one that refuses to buy the p&s monstrosity, but would buy an OAR version of this film in a heartbeat.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

We will see a proper version of The Jerk, when those jerk's at Universal want to take money from lovers of film, as apposed to fans of movies.
When that will be?
When the masses demand WS.

walter o

Supporting Actor
isnt this open matte presentation? If it is, isnt there a way to make adjustment on the tV set to make a bogus matting somehow?

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Yes, I agree with all of you guys. Steve Martin doesn't seem to get much respect on dvd, and I would buy a couple of his movies if they were OAR.

Mark Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
I'd go for The Man With Two Brains in OAR as well. While we're at it, why not Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid?

The Jerk is still my favorite though.

"The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!"

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I love Steve Martin and I LOVE this movie. Yet every time I glance at the current DVD I just sigh.

I'd love to buy this movie. Not gonna do it though...

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member

Yes, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid is available, and is OAR. Unfortunately, there is one scene cut from it, so I would LOVE to have this film released with the missing scene put back in!

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
I've had enough of Hollywood studios sticking it to their customers. If a movie is not OAR I won't buy it. If it is cut, I will give it a long deliberation and decide if I really want it or not.

I can do more with my money than spend it on sub-par products. Which is what Hollywood tends to give us.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks