What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Such a shame that all we have of STAR! IS A dvd. Maybe Japan or some other country will release a bluray.We know it won't be coming from this country.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I believe that Twilight Time had a deal with Fox to release Star! once Fox had done an HD master, but it looks like Fox never got around to it. Now of course it's with Disney, so I don't think it'll be coming from any country.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I believe that Twilight Time had a deal with Fox to release Star! once Fox had done an HD master, but it looks like Fox never got around to it. Now of course it's with Disney, so I don't think it'll be coming from any country.
I agree. Nick even spoke once about wanting Star! to be upgraded to Blu-ray, but it didn't happen, and now I fear it won't. Disney just doesn't seem to have any interest in vault titles especially from another studio.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Star! Is probably the cleanest and most sharp looking musical that I saw in 70mm. Watched it in a very good looking vintage print not too long ago. I do not expect that this experience will be surpassed any time soon with Star! now being a Disney property.

Last edited:

Ken Koc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I had spent time with Julie Andrews . She mentioned to me that she would have loved to do an audio commentary for STAR. I gave Julie Nick’s contact information for a possible participation in a blu ray of STAR…….but alas that was not to be.:-(

DarkVader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Carlos
I agree. Nick even spoke once about wanting Star! to be upgraded to Blu-ray, but it didn't happen, and now I fear it won't. Disney just doesn't seem to have any interest in vault titles especially from another studio.
So if this is Disney's attitude with catalog titles then what do they plan on doing with all of them? Are they just going to leave them in the vaults to collect dust? I don't get it. And for the record 20th Century isn't another studio anymore - - - they own it, so it's one of their studios now.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I had spent time with Julie Andrews . She mentioned to me that she would have loved to do an audio commentary for STAR. I gave Julie Nick’s contact information for a possible participation in a blu ray of STAR…….but alas that was not to be.:-(
She could have done one for some archive just in case it can happen. Warner Bros did this with Vincent Sherman before his demise.

roxy1927

Screenwriter
Real Name
vincent parisi
No news on a 4k Cleopatra or Sound of Music or Mash. I bet nobody at Disney or at 20th century Fox has even heard of Star!
Disney couldn't even give itself a proper Disney World 50th anniversary celebration. All it was was a merchandise grab.
All they want now is billion dollar grossing marvel movies.

Noel Aguirre

Patron
Supporter
Real Name
noel
Star! Is one of the biggest flops ever made.so why would Disney ever consider restoring it for a proper release? I’d expect The Happiest Millionaire or The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band one of their own before this ever gets a proper release. Only Kino Lorber can save it like they did w Sweet Charity and TMMillie or Twilight Time did with Lost Horizon.
If Disney does I’d expect what Paramount did to the release of On A Clear Day You Can See Forever- slap on whatever file they all ready have and sell it to die hard suckers who’ll buy it like I did.
However I do think they’ll eventually release a comprehensive Rodgers & Hammerstein 4K boxed set because they are extremely popular beloved films.

Last edited:

roxy1927

Screenwriter
Real Name
vincent parisi
Paramount hasn't even put out The Odd Couple one of its biggest hits. They licensed it to TT which of course sold out. This most definitely should be a catalogue item but who can figure out how they think? I wonder how good the spanish bluray is. I was very disappointed on the reviews for Clear Day so I didn't get it. Quite a missed opportunity when Funny Girl and Dolly were spectacular.

roxy1927

Screenwriter
Real Name
vincent parisi
Sorry I think they put it out as one of those faux blurays like Clear Day. Anybody see it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emking
Recent bookmarks