What's new

Will we ever get a Full Metal Jacket SE? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
I sure would love an OAR, DD 5.1 version of this awesome war movie. Any chance of this in the future?

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
I was just wondering because the only DVD I've seen of this movie is P&S and mono. When did an SE come out?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It came out early last year.
Here's the covers...
Original 1997 DVD (the one to avoid):

The 2001 remastered, restored, and remixed SE:

Most reviews I've read for the SE say it looks and sound excellent. There is only the theatrical trailer, but Kubrick preferred his films on disc to be simple.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Why bother...the second half of the movie blew...
Thanks for the in depth analysis, and the thread fart.
:rolleyes
The 2001 re-release is indeed a very good disc. Highly recommended (including the great second half)! :)
One of my all time favorite movies!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Without bowing to an undignified post, I prefer we keep our comments focused on the topic at hand: the aspect ratio of this film. If you want to debate the film's merits, start another thread.

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
So, is the Original Theatrical Aspect Ratio different than the Original Home Video Aspect Ratio? If what we prefer is the OHVAR is it improper to present films letterboxed on DVD when the VHS OHVAR is 1.33?

Frederic_A

Stunt Coordinator
We should respect the director's stated wishes and desires - Kubrick wanted the film shown on video at the 1.33 aspect ratio. There is no panning and scanning present.
I must say I can see the point in wanting to see a movie in the same ratio at home as in the movies, if you happen to be nostalgic about that. Also, if a director insists on opening the matte for home video, it's conceivable that the motive would be something other than him thinking this is the optimal ratio for his film. AFAIK, this WAS the case with Full Metal Jacket, and personally I'm very happy with this version. But in other cases, I could imagine it to be a cunning alternative to having one's movie 'butchered' for a market that is generally allergic to black bars.

I have a German release of Jackie Brown in open matte, by the way. It has a feature that lets you artificially put the black bars back in, while it stays non-anamorphic. The European market generally has no problem with widescreen, so I've always wondered whether this was Tarantino's intended ratio. But then the special edition gets released in R1, and it's only widescreen anamorphic (correct me if I'm wrong)...?

Bob_C

Agent
I was just curious....I know Mr. Kubrick generally preferred mono sound in his movies. Was 5.1 the original sound or was it mono for FMJ?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
FMJ was released theatrically in mono (as were all of his films with the exception of Spartacus, 2001, and Eyes Wide Shut). The 5.1 remix was supervised by his longtime assistant, Leon Vitali. It's a very subtle and effective remix and there are no new sounds - it's all the original pieces. Ideally, Warner should have included the mono track for completeness, but they didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks