Will using the "repair" option on the XP cd...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg*go, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Will using this repair option delete any files I currently have on the computer? Since I downloaded SP1, will it also cause XP to convert back to the original version that is on the CD? I ask in lieu of my problem

2. Dave Gorman

Dave Gorman Supporting Actor

3. Dave Gorman

Dave Gorman Supporting Actor

4. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

I am pretty sure that if you were to install the OS again from Windows XP you would get rid of Service Pack 1. None of the data on your computer should be harmed unless it was directly connected to the OS in some way.

KyleS

5. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I can confirm that YES, you will have to reinstall SP1 if you go through the repair option. Repair basically reverts back to the original installation without losing your program settings, etc.

6. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Thats what I thought Jeremy but didnt want to stick my foot in my mouth (Thats why I said I was pretty sure) [​IMG]
    KyleS

7. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

UPDATE:
    Ok, thanks for all the input guys, it helped a lot. For those of you wondering, here's what I did:
    After I tried to use the repair option on my XP cd, it said I had an outdated DLL file in the process. So I reinstalled XP on a different partition of my HD, then copied that DLL onto my first version of XP. That didn't work, so then using my 2nd Copy of XP, I copied all the files I thought I wanted/needed and put them onto a cd; and then formatted everything and reinstalled a fresh version of XP. I lose all the updates I hadn't saved (SP1 being the biggest), but my sister is in school with a cable modem hooked up to her laptop w/ a CDRW drive, so I just have to visit her one evening to say "Hi" with a list in my hands [​IMG]
    This all extended from me having a problem using the Quicktime insall on the fly process, so I'm not recommending anyone use it. Just download the setup file. And although I copied everything important, I also noticed a few things I forgot to copy, like my wallpaper, theme, and some sounds. I suppose its always the little things that get overlooked, otherwise they wouldn't be little things [​IMG] And on a plus note, I just installed some more RAM, so I think I'm now at my maximum of 512MB [​IMG] Thanks again for your help though, it was a rough few days.