What's new

Will Upgrading Speakers effect/damage Receiver? (1 Viewer)

NickC

Second Unit
If I was to buy a new set of speakers to replace my current ones, will this effect(damage, effect sound, or anything) my receiver in any way? I just bought a new Yamaha htr 5490 and I am running some old speakers until I get the Money to purchase a new pair.. right now I have 6 ohm speakers and I plan on getting 8 ohm, I have my receiver switch set to handle 4 ohms and higher, but when I get the 8 ohm speakers I will switch it to the 8 ohm setting?

thanks
nick

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, go to 8 if your speaks are greater than / equal to 8 ohms. No damage will occour that way.

Likely, depending on the make / model of speakers, you will get an improvement. But there are tons of "old" speakers out there that will spank "new" models. I'm sure you understand.

- C

NickC

Second Unit
alright, thanks, I just bought the receiver and its not really that my speakers are old, maybe 5 years, but more or less not really good, they came with an old awia system, and I am just using the speakers temporarily until i can buy new mains and I didnt want to damage my new receiver because of the different powers and what not.

nick

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Nick:

Think of it this way:

A short-circuit is zero ohms. This is bad.

The higher the impedence on a speaker, the safer it is (because it's farther away from zero).

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samtbax
Recent bookmarks