What's new

Will upgrading powercord on the receiver improve sound? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Howard, I imagine it could. I have often read that the benefit of a quality power cord is best realized on a source component (i.e., a CD player). However, I have read of people changing power cords on various amps and experiencing improvements. I have yet to buy an aftermarket power cord, so I can't comment one way or the other personally. I am considering the purchase of a power cord from www.diycable.com for my Sony SCD-777ES SACD player just out of curiosity because so many people on Audio Asylum talk about the benefits of aftermarket power cords. In any event, you might want to post your question on the Cable Asylum board on www.audioasylum.com . Not to say that people here can't help, but these types of questions come up quite regularly on Audio Asylum.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Hey Keith sent you a PM.

Ya I check those board too but most of the powercord guys use amps so that's why I haven't heard much about receivers.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Whenever I have a removable cord, I always make a replacement. Like anything else, e.g. interconnects, speaker wire, etc., a good electrical connection is very important. Just as the RCA cables that come with CD players generally are very inexpensive, so are power cords. A manuf. is getting a product out at a price point and cables, cords are usually what is skimped on. A Hubbell 5266 plug is not that expensive, typically less than $13. A good commercial grade electrical receptacle is usually about $3, vs. the $0.33 builders grade. If you want to go more off the deep end, a hospital grade receptacle is about $10 more. If you have an IEC connector at the component, good connectors can be had for as low as $6. It is not that expensive to upgrade such items.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks