What's new

Will Universal re-release the Bourne films in Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

Well, you get what you pay for and, at such a ridiculously low price point, what do you expect from the Blu-ray set? ;) :p

Meanwhile, back in the real world, yes, this is an unconscionable loss (NOTHING that was on an SD-DVD should be left off of Blu-ray! Why is this so hard for studios to grasp--you give me a format with greater storage capacity and fill it with less stuff than I got before?!?!), but, on whatever bright side I can find, I guess the $28 I spent on the Limited Edition Jason Bourne Collection SD-DVD set wasn't for nuthin'...

Weird that TDB didn't confirm if the Doug Liman commentary has, indeed, returned after being left off of the "Explosive Extended Version" of THE BOURNE IDENTITY...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Certainly. And the studios are free to charge whatever they want for any given item.

That said, there are some established standards out there in terms of pricing. No studio releases BD in a vacuum, there are dozens of other studios releasing BDs and a sort of pricing structure has occurred. Of course there is no rule that one must adhere to the pricing structure, but when something is out-of-whack in comparison, I find nothing wrong with people pointing that out.

And ultimately, Universal should care what people think because they are in the business of selling product and making revenue. If more of us hold off buying the set due to its higher-than-average price, then that's lost revenue to them. What makes a company more money, a higher priced item that isn't sold or a lower priced item (which still has a good profit margin) that is sold?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Not only is it a good idea to point it out...but I'd shout it from the rooftops. I just did over in the thread of the pending release of Quantum of Solace on BD.

While some might see it as an exercise in futility, I'd rather think of it as a potential for a message being heard. If nothing else, it may be cathartic! ;)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I never bought the DVDs (nor HDDVDs) before, so this will be a welcome release other than the apparent initial pricing of course. :P Just wait for the next 20-25%-off DDD/DVDPlanet sale (or maybe the next BF when it might get knocked down to $30 or so, if you can wait that long :D) -- that's probably what I'll do. ;)

_Man_

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams

You said it all, Sanjay. I have the HD DVDs and was interested to see if the blu set would offer any tangible improvements over the HD DVDs.

But they're charging $40 each for a catalog title, with no discount whatsoever for buying the set! I can roll with pricing usually, but I think this is a total rip.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just thought of something. At the MSRP of $119 (yes I realize they're not selling at that point) it's actually cheaper for me to go to my local Frys, buy the $39.99 HD-DVD add-on to my XBox 360, and the Bourne HD-DVDs which routinely are discounted to under $10. Actually, it's cheaper to do that in comparison with Amazon.com's selling price! :eek:

LCD22

Screenwriter

I forgot about the Doug Liman commentary myself.

Well, if that is left off as well, it's good I went on Half.com two years ago and found a brand-new, sealed, Collector's Edition.

I agree there's no reason to drop any of this. There are also three extras that were exclusive to The Bourne Ultimatum Steelbook (which I don't own) that they could've included. Heck put in the theatrical trailer tor Ultimatum and the TV spots for all three films as well - there's room.

This was a highly-anticipated BD release, and so far, Universal has blown it.

LCD22

Screenwriter

I haven't read confirmation either way for "Big City Action", "The Evolution of Nicky" featurettes, and Moby's "Extreme Ways" (Bourne's Ultimatum) music video. Can anyone clear this up for us?

I also did check the studio press release and Doug Liman's commentary for "The Bourne Identity" was listed.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

Yes, but it was also listed a few years back in the press release for the SD-DVD of the "Explosive Extended Version" so we won't know 100% for sure until the BD is in our hands or a knowledgeable source reviews the title.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

The Doug Liman commentary is on the HD DVD, as is the speed of sound feature and the theatrical trailers. If they were on the HD DVD I can't imagine they would be left off of the blu-ray.

Doug

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Looks like better sense has finally prevailed at Universal, or maybe it was the poor pre-order numbers that sent the message to Universal, either way, they seem to have dropped the MSRP from $119.99 to $94.98 Although a MSRP of $90 would have been more appropriate, it's still more acceptable now, specially with Amazon in accordance with the new MSRP, has repriced the 'Trilogy' at $64.99.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

The reviews I've been seeing online elsewhere seem to support your theory. Looks like The Digital Bits got careless with this announcement...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well I don't want to intimate that all of the price complaining had an effect, but both Amazon and Best Buy as of late yesterday were now listing the set at $64.99. At that point, the price is right. :D

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
It looks like either the earlier information was wrong or Universal decided to add those to the package. HighDefDigest's review of the set claims that all DVD and HD DVD extras "are ported over in their entirety here, so completists should have no cause for concern." They specifically list Speed of Sound (in SD) and the trailers for the first 2 films (in HD). I don't see any mention of the Ultimatum teaser, though.

LCD22

Screenwriter

Thanks Scott. While I wished they had also included the trailer for "Ultimatum", I'll be placing an order next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks