What's new

Will Universal ever release their own version of "Matinee"? (1 Viewer)

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
I just saw this film for the first time in its entirety today on Universal HD and I think it is Joe Dante's most underrated film. Why is it still unavailable?

The Image version is long OOP, and it's just sitting there in Universal's vaults. Not to mention that the film looked quite good in HD, so what are they waiting for?

Does anyone know what's going on with it?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Good question! I just sold my copy of the Image disc this past Christmas because I expected to see this sometime this year. I should have sold The Car as well, but that one was already anamorphic and I liked the jacket art on the AB release. I still expect Matinee to show up at some point. It's one of the few (only?) original Image liscensed titles left un-remastered. And it is a great little movie.

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
No, it's one of the few remaining Image titles. Many are also still waiting for Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie to get re-issued too.

If I'm not mistaken, the last Image-licensed title that Universal reissued themselves was Radioland Murders back in August 2006, so if I'm right, it's definitely been a while.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

MATINEE and THE SEVEN PERCENT SOLUTION are the only two Image/Universal titles still un-remastered by Universal directly, as far as I know. That, of course, is taking into account the few that have already been announced and are coming out soon (MST3K - THE MOVIE, MAN OF A THOUSAND FACES, JOURNEY TO FAR SIDE OF SUN).

I expect MATINEE to show up sometime soon as well and sold off my copy recently.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Matinee is one of my favorite films and I watch the Image DVD at least twice a year. I could not part with it until Universal releases a replacement. I also still have the laser copy which includes MANT in a complete version. Actually it is just all the segments edited together and forms a fairly good narrative. I was also lucky enough to work with John Goodman latter and he graciously signed the one sheet of Matinee starting off by saying "Keep Your Eyes Open"

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo

MST3K: The Movie is out on May 6th.

And John, you have to admit that the presentation of "Matinee" looked great on Universal HD (sans commercials of course).

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
Universal has finally announced Matinee...for May 4th!

It will be presented in Anamorphic Widescreen with Dolby Digital 5.1 Surrround sound. In addition, the disc with also include the "MANT" footage and the theatrical trailer as bonus material.

Now this is a happy day!

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Originally Posted by Nicholas Vargo
the disc [will] include the "MANT" footage and the theatrical trailer as bonus material.

Thanks Nicholas!

I'd just read about this release in the NYTimes but they didn't mention the "Mant" inclusion.

It's complete on my Laser Disc, now I'll have it on DVD.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Henry Gale

Thanks Nicholas!

I'd just read about this release in the NYTimes but they didn't mention the "Mant" inclusion.

It's complete on my Laser Disc, now I'll have it on DVD.

I received my DVD yesterday and there are no extras at all included, not even a trailer. That was a disappointment. But it is widescreen anamorphic and the transfer is very acceptable with the muted colors to give it the nostalgia feel. The sound was also good. I guess I will hold on to my laser copy, but at least I can get rid of damn original DVD release.

On a side note, I also received NO TIME FOR SERGEANTS and it too was bare bones with out a trailer. And also, my laser copy of the film has a trailer attached.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks