Will trade cold beer for help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianRS, Aug 1, 2001.

1. BrianRS

BrianRS Stunt Coordinator

Sadly enough, this seems to be the only way I get most of my house projects accomlished. Invite my handy neighbors over, get them to help with the project, and offer cold beer on tap(beermeister-probably my most important piece of ht equipment) for as long as it takes. Sorry if these have been answered recently, but I couldn't find them on any of my searches:
    My downstairs family room (with 3 exterior walls) will be my new HT room. After looking at all the various ways to hide my speaker wires, I think running them through the walls would be the best. If I ran them under the carpet or behind the baseboards, I would still have to run them up the walls (either inside or out) to their mounting location a few feet aboue ear level. My questions are these:
    1. Will I be able to run the wires through the insulated walls, up 2 floors, through the attic, and back down? Is there anything between floors that would stop the wires?
    2. Is plain old 12 guage speaker wire o.k. or do I need something special for in-wall use?
    3. Do I simply run the wire, make a hole in the wall, pull it through and connect to speakers or are there face plates, connectors, etc. that I should use?
    4. Are there any specialized tools or equipment that would make this job easier? (fish tape, drill, dynamite, etc.)
    5. Am I totally out of my mind for attempting this?
    Thanks in advance for anyone that has the patience to help me!

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

1. After gutting a 105 yo house, I can honestly say you never have an idea what you are going to find.
    Generally if you find the original construction you have an idea. Remodeling projects over the years puts all bets off. I opened up the back of my wife's closet and found the original front door to the house.
    Cold beer is good but wait till at least noon (earlier and friends start getting the nicknames like Frankie four-fingers)
    2. In wall wiring have fire resistant properties. Go to home depot and buy a roll of 500 ft. If you have a building inspector over he won't throw a hissey fit
    3 Either or works. The less interconnects the better.
    Faceplates etc makes the wife, new owners etc happy
    4.Yes, all and don't forget the axe! Those 12 & 18 inch drill bit are a must. And remember dynamite is worthless without blasingcaps!
    5. Of course, what part of denial do you not understand?
    You're already in the club, just ask Jack from the Shining
    ------------------
    Why?
    Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
    It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
    It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
    It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
    I am a superhero!
    A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
    Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
    AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
    -Space Ghost..

3. Jens Raethel

Jens Raethel Second Unit

Jens
    Brian-
    I´ll come over to your place tonight!
    Im not even going to take your beer from you! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Go see my new theater CINEMAX! updated 2001-07-29
    Then give me your thoughts!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]
    http://cine-max.tripod.com/cinemax/

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Brian if you have the furnace in the basement venting all the way to the roof, you may be able to figure out where the duct work runs and with minimal sheet rock destruction, get some 1.5 inch PVC between points to run wires. There is likely subflooring at each level around the duct work so you may have to cut some sheetrock near the floor at each point to make an opening wide enough for the PVC. It is easier going from an unfinished basement one floor up and before I finish my basement I will likely take advantage of running some wires.

5. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

6. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Is there anything between floors that would stop the wires?
    Yes, every wall has a top plate and a bottom plate. Maybe even two top plates. So you may need to drill through 3 studs between floors.
    In all probability but a lot depends on age.
    In my Victorian I found everything plus a few things hard ti Imagine
    If you do pull wires through add a few extras you can either use to pull others through or use for expansion
    Generally it's as easy to run 10 as it 1...so run 10. That motto bailed me out a few times and you never know what wire you'll need in the future

7. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor