What's new

Will towers do anything for HT? (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Neither of those manufacturers has "levels" They just have one range of speakers. In fact, I would say that is a common sign of many truly good speaker manufacturers. "Levels" are more a marketing strategy.

I suspect the Vandersteens will be more to your taste, as they are more dynamic speakers. Still, regarding the punch you found lacking in Magnepans, it is true they, as well as the Martin-Logans are not as "dynamic" as you may want, but that can often be compensated for with a good sub. After all, most of the punch from movies comes in the low frequencies.

I think Vandersteen makes excellent speakers. Definitely among the very best in their price range, which runs from about 1K to a little over 10K. Their imaging is nearly as good as the Thiels I own, but they are less demanding on how they are powered and are probably a better choice for most people.

All of these speakers absolutely require lots of breathing room. They have to be at least 2 feet out from the front wall, and as much a 4 ft to work best.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks