What's new

Will THX Cinema enhance or degrade the sound? (1 Viewer)

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought a THX Select certified receiver, Onkyo 797, that has THX SurrEX and THX Cinema processing. I use the Re-Eq at high volvumes on DD movies mostly, but my question is, should I use the receiver's THX cinema post-processing, or should I just leave it in DTS or DD mode? My basic question is, will the THX Cinema processing enhance, or degrade the sound, I can't seem to notice the diffrence in DD, but in DTS, it seems like it makes it sound worse. Is it just me, or is the DD really just the same, except with the Re-Eq on when I use THX Cinema, or does it actually get better, if so, how?

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Use whatever sounds better to you. THX does not enhance or degrade the sound. It's more like an equalizer. If you like it you like it if you don't you don't. I believe movies sound better in THX mode although I think I have heard people say that THX works better on DD than DTS.

RandyRush

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 797 and I personally think the THX Cinema is great sounding; I think it just evens out everything to a more enjoyable sound, particularly on DTS dvd's

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
I found that it cuts treble and brightness on tracks. Perhaps this is why it's not available on Yamaha receivers!

I'm kidding... :)

T.

David John

Stunt Coordinator
Question for you 797 owners....

can you use the THX-ex for DD without the cinema re-eq?

meaning, can you select THX-EX processing for DD without the cinema re-eq?

basically, the THX post processing is designed to eq out the brightness needed in theaters because of the large room.

for home theaters, it would sound too bright.

however, some DVD's are not bright sounding, and some are.

if the DVD is not bright sounding, but has DD-EX, can I use the EX processing without the re-eq?

or when THX-EX is selected, is the re-eq always on, and not able to be turned off?

I plan on buying this unit soon, and wondered about this for DD-Ex DVDs.

I want to use the EX for most listening, but on discs that are not EX encoded, I wondered if I was stuck with the re-eq on always.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanx.

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I know in the OSD, there is an option that you can choose whether or not you want to use Re-Eq when the THX mode is selected, I just have mine to on, but you may want it otherwise, but yes, there is always the option of not using it. Just a helpful hint, if you music or other stereo types of sources all of a sudden sound flat, it's probably because you have the Re-Eq on, and you forgot to turn it off, but maybe that only happened to me:)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
THX post processing does a bit more then RE-EQ,and being a fancy eq.It also "boosts" adaptive decorrelation,and timbre matching for the surround speakers.Both crying for the big question WHY[?],but THX seems to have convinced enough people,that this is what they want in their homes,so the manufacturers complied to bring it to them.Enjoy!;)

Users who are viewing this thread