What's new

Will THX Cert. speaker wire make a difference? (1 Viewer)

AdamHassan

Auditioning
will this 14 guage speaker wire make a difference with my home theater. It is CL3 rated, By the way I have a Onkyo 6.1 channel reciever and I got JBL THX certified speakers that handle 100 watts RMS

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
It depends on what you are comparing it to. Mostly THX is a marketing ploy. I read somewhere else on this forum where someone said that it is "something of a standard" in this crazy obsession we all have. To me, I think it is more bragging rights than anything else.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
THX is a spect to which products are measured. If they meet the requirements (have certain required features, meet various testing criteria), they are certified. I really don't see how one can certify WIRE, and I wouldn't worry about it for something like speaker wire.

Does certified gear really buy you anything? Not enough for me to spend any time or money on it.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
THX certified person? :laugh: That's a good one. Anyway about the speaker wire. I'm assuming your talking about the Monster Home Theater XP wire, which happens to be THX certified, if you are all I can say is steer clear. It is poorly made. I purchased the type with the pin connectors already in place and when I went to hook them up to my speakers three out of five of the connectors came off! As for sound quality I can't really say because it is all I have used with those speakers, but it sounds ok.

Blake R

Stunt Coordinator
My understanding is you have use a THX certified electrical engineer with THX certified needle nose pliers and THX certified wire nuts to make all terminations. Otherwise the rating is reduced from "THX Certified" to "MIDFI." I believe they(engineers) work relatively cheaply say around $80 an hour. I thought about getting into the industry myself but they wouldn't accept me when they found out I passed the civil service exam.

2,3,4.. Laugh

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There is nothing wrong with XP. The connectors are another issue. Buy your own banana plugs, forget the pre-terminated Monster cable for exactly the reason mentioned (I don't like pin connectors at all anyway).

Users who are viewing this thread