What's new

Will This Work? (1 Viewer)

Xander H

Agent
Forgive me for being new, but I really have little experience with Home Theaters (Even though I absolutely love them).

I'm going to be getting my own place soon and the first purchase will be a home theater. After reading a bunch of threads here and doing a lot of research I came up with a 7.1 setup I hope will work and will be affordable. The only thing is I don't know anything about power usage or frequencies or compatability so I'm not sure if these speakers are going to work with my receiver which is hooked up to my TV and DVD.

Anyway, the receiver I'm looking at is the Pioneer VSX 1015TX which a friend can get me for 315 bucks. The speakers I hope will work with that are all JBLs, the EC35 for the center, a pair of E60s (or maybe E100s depending on price) and the four surrounds will be E10s (again, maybe a step or two up if I have the money.) I have a sub now that will have to tide me over till I get more cash, but eventually I'll have an SVS of some kind (probably PB10).

So the question becomes, will that receiver be able to handle those speakers and that sub without problem? Also, is that enough output to fill my viewing area (perfect square room that's 18x18.

Thanks!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That receiver should have no problem with those speakers.

perfectly square, and nearly square rooms can be very problematic for good bass response. I have a PB-10 in a 19x20 room and I get very respectable levels of bass, so I'd say it's an adequate choice, unless you want some serious bass.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Probably won't support true reference level, but those level are rarely used by the bulk of HT'rs....

Of course I think I am the exception. Now that I have gotten used to it , I can't hear very well when I listen to others people's systems.

I show them the volume I normally listen at and they are like no friggen way dude.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hey Xander. Welcome to HTF!

My advice would be to NOT buy tower speakers with built-in woofers.

While towers are impressive to look at, a more ideal HT experience can be had with an array of nearly identical bookshelf-style speakers and a good external self-powered sub.

Those woofers take POWER. And having multiple sources of BASS in a room can cause complex interactions that make for a too-quiet sound in some locations, and boomy/over-blown sounds in other locations.

(and your room will be horrible because it is square).

You will have much better sound having a single bass source in a room. And having the smaller speakers will put a much lower power-demand on your receiver.

If you get identical speakers all around - when sounds jump from speaker to speaker, you have a much better chance of getting seamless transitions. This will give you a much better HT experience.

My advice: check out getting 6 E20 or E30 JBL speakers, and the matching center channel.

I just found E20's for $100/pair and E30's for $150/pair. So that is $450 for 6 E30's. Add the EC35 center (designed to tone-match with the E30's) and your sub - and you have all hte makings of a great HT system for about $600.

True story:

My home system is a Yamaha A1 reciever with DefTech 2000TL speakers matching center and surrounds. Backed up with a SVS sub.

I put together this system for my Mom:

- 5 M&K K2 speakers for $45 ea (scratch sale)
- Old Yamaha 793 reciever I had lying around
- $100 for a Home Theater Direct subwoofer
(She already had a DVD player)

Once I set it up, level adjusted things - it is a great sounding system. While my home system IS better, it's not the 10-20 times better that the difference in price would lead you to expect.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks