Will this work (well)?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DanielJW, Mar 17, 2005.

1. DanielJW

DanielJW Extra

So I'm pretty sure I'm getting the Optoma H31 fairly soon and I'm in the process of deciding how I'm going to run it. I have a 7.1 HTIB Onkyo theater system which I've just been using in my apartment because I didn't want to spend money on components which would be at high risk of theft.

Those are my speakers. However, I don't yet have a stand-alone CD/DVD player because I've always just used my desktop computer instead. I've since swapped my desktop for a new notebook.

Here's the question: Can I use my notebook as my player? I could run s-video out of the notebook into my receiver, and then from the receiver to the projector (bought a 6ft and 50ft cable). I'm also currently running digital optical sound out of the notebook into the receiver.

In any case, would the quality from this setup be all right? I guess what I'm really asking is would I notice large differences/advantages in the playback of the notebook versus that of a standalone player? At first I was thinking it might be neat for PC gaming, but then I realized that it could be ideal for DVD's as well. And it would save me at least $100 on a purchase I would not have to make.

Thanks,

Daniel

2. John S

John S Producer

Yes, Svideo is a pretty big step down from Component Video, DVI, HDMI, VGA, ect..ect..

3. Pat Frank

Pat Frank Stunt Coordinator

Yeah it'll look okay but it's worth picking up even one of those cheap $40-50 players. You'll also have to drop another 30 bucks on a lengthy component cable. But you'll see a significant difference in PQ.

Since that PJ (if I remember correctly) doesn't have the Faroudja processor, it's probably worth it to go ahead and spend around $150 for a player that does decent quality Progressive-scan output (the cheaper ones tend to show a lot more edge stair-stepping) and supports HDMI or DVI output.