Will this temporary set-up work?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark.Louis, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Mark.Louis

Mark.Louis Stunt Coordinator

I am considering building a DIY subwoofer to completed my first home theater/audio system. I am thinking about building a passive sub and using this for a while, and then later as funds improve buy a plate amp that I'll just attach to the outside of the sub (with minor cabinet mods).

I have an old Pioneer SX-5 lying around that still sounds great, but only one input still works (out of four total). It is 80W * 2 channels. For the time being, I was thinking about powering the DIY passive sub using this receiver being fed a signal from the LFE output of my Pioneer VSX 811s. I realize that this will mean the VSX will have to handle bass management duties, and that this is not the most optimal scenario.

However, will this work in the short-term, or is there a possibility of damaging either receiver or the driver? What are the trade-offs of this approach?

By the way, I plan on using either a Tempest or a Shiva in one of Adire's sealed designs.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

2. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

Allot of people use old amps to power their subs, this will work fine just wont go the extra 4 or 5 dB louder that a plate amp will[​IMG] as far as bass managment goes, if you are using the LFE out then you will almost always be using the bass managment of the receiver. Build it and have fun [​IMG]