Will this sub work for HT use?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron_Morris, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Aaron_Morris

Aaron_Morris Stunt Coordinator

Well, I figure it will work as it is not blown or anything. A better question would be, will this be a useful driver, or should I sell it and get something a little better suited? It is a Soundstream SPL Mule. It is a 12" car sub that I got over a year ago and never used. Still just sitting here collecting dust. It has T/S parameters as such: QTS .847, Vas .o934m^3, Fs 26.84, Qms10.6, Qes .920, Xmax.011m, SPL 84.96dB. I know this thing isn't very efficent and as I recall it wasn't reccomended to be put in a ported box as per SS... but that to the wind. Could someone crunch some numbers for me and help me out. I have WinISD and I am not exactly sure what to get from the data.
    Thanks in advance
    Aaron

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I didn't know soundstream made drivers. I do like their amplifiers for car audio though albeit expensive. [​IMG]
    That sensitivity isn't that bad, a tempest is only about 90. I dunno if you'll get much information from just the stats, my guess is it will be loud like a HT driver, but I can't say much about the quality and response curve. (Sorry I didn't plug in the numbers, i'm using WinISD beta and still don't get it all).

3. Well, the QTS is above 0.707 which means that no matter how large of a box you make, you will ALWAYS have a hump.

you MIGHT be able to get away with the hump in an infinate baffle setup, but that is it. You can always use it in a linkwitz transform.

If this is for car audio, you might be ok since cabin gain can be a crazy beast.

Just look at a sim of this in a sealed 100L box with no stuffing, you get a Qtc=1.7!!!!

..so...DO NO use this if you want an SQ system.

4. Aaron_Morris

Aaron_Morris Stunt Coordinator

Not for use in a car. Was thinking of using it as an interim HT sub.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Fs is too high is you really want that down low bass performance required by HT standards (for the rumble).

6. Bill Fagal

Bill Fagal Stunt Coordinator

As others have pointed out, that high Q limits your options to Linkwitz transformed, infinite baffle, and (my favorite) open-baffle.
    Nothing too special about the Fs, Xmax, or efficiency of these drivers, so the trouble involved with options one and two seem even less attractive.
    If I were you, I'd experiment with this as a bass driver in a three-way open baffle. While it won't get very low, the highish Q and Fs will help flatten the open-baffle response. If the Le is high too, that could also work to your advantage in a dipole alignment.
    Go here for info about dipole bass systems. Download the Excell spreadsheet--it's an indespensible tool for modeling your setup.
    Bill