What's new

Will this setup work? (1 Viewer)

MikeSHU

Agent
I want to hook up my computer to the budget home theatre system I'm about to build. My receiver will probably be a Denon AVR 1800, my DVD Audio/Video Player is a Pioneer DV-578A, my CD changer is an ancient Sony CDP-C435, and my computer is where most of the music will come from and it will be hooked up via coaxial digital out. Finally, my speakers are powered Diva Swan M200 studio monitors.

The speakers will be connected to the receiver via the stereo pre-out's since they have their own amplifier.

Now the problem is my DVD-A player. I want to play DVD-A's at full 24-bit 192 KHz quality. This means I can only use analog inputs. Does my receiver have to specifically support DVD-Audio even though it will be imputed via analog stereo? I don't see any reason why it should not. The analog signal will go from the DVD-A player to the receiver with will route it to the pre-outs, right? I heard some where that DVD-A has some encryption mechanisms that make copying it, even via analog, impossible. Is this true? Does this apply to me since the analog DVD-A stream is being sent to the receiver that doesn't specifically support DVD-A?

Also, my ancient Sony CDP-C435 (if it sounded good in 1993 it should sound good now) has two outputs labeled "fixed" and "variable". What is the difference and which one do I use?

Thanks

John S

Senior HTF Member
DVD-A requires 6 analog connections. The AVR must have 6 connection analog inputs. you also would need 5 speakers and a sub for the output. Ok, at least 5 speakers with good bass range.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Not much experience with the stereo DVD-A here. Everybody I know strives for the multi-channel and are even a little mad some titles only seem to have the Stereo on them.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Mike, theoretically, yes, you can do that. (Although, my man...you will WANT 5 speakers very quickly after you've had a taste of that, because you will be grazing the tip of a much larger iceburg. ) Be prepared to have your appetite whetted! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks