What's new

Will this room have any chance at working for a home Theater (1 Viewer)

Dae06

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
I have a storage room that I would like to try and use as a home theater room. Any advice and/or suggestions on making this work are appreciated. I'm using a free floor planner design for the below images and could not find ceiling speakers, so the lights in the ceiling are meant to be in-ceiling speakers. My goal is a 7.1.4 ATMOS system. I could easily place the side speakers in the wall. But where to put them is a question since it is so narrow by the seating. Also, I couldn't find a theater seat that is 2 seats wide, so I had to add the 3 seat in front which is too wide to walk by. Currently the walls are just studs and no ceiling yet so running cables will be easy.

Thanks

From Above 4.JPG
From Front.jpg
From Back.jpg

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The T-shaped dimensions are not ideal for home theater, but you could make it work for 5.1 surround or possibly 5.1.2 Atmos.

Dae06

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
Thanks. I’m assuming the side speakers wouldn’t work too well, but any reason not to use 4 ceiling speakers instead of 2?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have specific suggestions that I'll come back with after work. I think a 5.1.4 setup would be good. 7.1.4 will have some drawbacks...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would definitely keep some side speakers. There are some things to consider. Like I said, I'll be back.

Dae06

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
The other option I have is my unfinished basement living room with windows and sliding door, but we definitely want a bar for entertaining in this room. Again, this is completely unfinished, but I am not sure how to set this room up for a home theater and a decent bar. The bar will be a wet bar, so the easiest place for it would be next to the utility room for a drain, but I could do a pump for waste water anywhere in the room if need be. I've played around with designs in this room but at 18' x 29', its almost too wide for side speakers in the walls along with the sliding door being where it is (walkout basement). But then again, this is all new to me and maybe I'm just too inexperienced at designing home theater spaces. Here is the basement living room and adjacent rooms:

Empty Large room.JPG

Thanks for any and all suggestions!!!!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That room would probably be much better. What is that space between the bedroom and stairway? I don't see a doorway into the bedroom.

People tend to think it's fine to cram a theater into a room with no extra space in it, but ideally you want space between the seating positions and the surround speakers, so mixed use rooms actually can be the best.

Dae06

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
It’s a hallway. There is a second bedroom next to the one you see. The exact same size. At the end of the hallway will be a bathroom and another storage room. The stud walks are already up for all of these rooms, but nothing else except rough lighting.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The entry to the bedroom would be from the hallway, then?

If you put the bar at the far end of the room, opposite the stairs, would you really need a pump for the waste water? We ran a waste line a lot longer than that, and around a corner, at work without a pump. It just needs slope the entire way, so it might enter the drain pipe near the ground.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ideally though, you would have the viewing area (the TV/screen) at the end of the room opposite the stairs, with the bar at the other end, next to the stairs. Is that possible?

Dae06

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
That's what I was thinking. I would need to pump my drain from the wet bar, but that is something I could do. I would love to hear how you would set it up. Here is the whole basement to answer your previous question:

Full Basement.JPG

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, ideal would be screen/TV on the left side wall, second choice would be to have it on the right side wall. Is option #1 possible? #1 would be awesome.

Dae06

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
Something like this?

7.1.4 with No bar yet.JPG

I have it drawn out as a 7.1.4, but any opinions on 5.1.4 (eliminating speakers 4 and 5?) vs. 7.1.4? There seems to be quite a jump in receiver prices for 11 channel receiver from 9 channel receivers.

Also, any suggestions on speaker placement? I'm kind of just throwing things out there right now.

This drawing has the screen 9' in the front row and 14' back row to the persons ears.

The wet bar could fit on the right (back wall) I think. I could get rid of the bar with the 5 chairs if it seems too tight.

Thanks

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, that is exactly what I'm aiming at.

Just some details. In a 5.x.x system, the surrounds are on the side, not the back. So 5.1.4 would have 4&5, but not 6&7. Aside from that, the Atmos speakers should be more in line with the fronts, so you'd want them a little inward, in a straight line out from the L&R speakers. The front ones should be just a little forward and the back ones a little further back. The goal is to have them + and - 35-45 degrees from the sitting position. With two rows of seating, you have to be a little flexible with those numbers, but you want the front ones noticeably in front of the front row and the back ones noticeably behind the back row. If you do go with 7.1.4, then 6&7 should go on the back wall if possible. Those are supposed to be completely behind the seating, not to the sides.

The location of the subwoofer you show is good. You don't want it an equal distance from any two walls, which it isn't.

Regarding receivers, there are models (like the Denon X3600) that have 9 amp channels, but process 11 channels, so you can add an external amp to get to 7.1.4 for less than a receiver with 11 amp channels. That also allows you to split up the cost by going 5.1.4 now, then expand to 7.1.4 later. Just wire for the rear channels so you're ready to go. There are also benefits to doing it that way, because 11 channels is a lot for any receiver to power anyway and you can unload the most demanding channels (the front three in particular) to a more powerful amp than the receiver has.

Just to add with receivers, you can get the Marantz SR6013, which was recently replaced with a new model, for $900 new, while they're still available. That processes 11 channels, but is cheaper then the new price for the Denon X3600 and is a higher end model. You're getting a deal on it because it's a discontinued model, but there's virtually no difference between it and the newer SR6014.

Last edited:

Dae06

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
Wow, a lot of excellent advice!! Thank you very much! I can’t wait to get started on this.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Glad to help. The SR6013 is probably the best deal going right now. You can get it for $750 refurbished, if you want to go that route. Those deals won't last forever. I'm kind of surprised the new ones are still available. Those closeouts tend to last a couple days to a couple weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonyrenner54
Recent bookmarks