Will this HDTV recorder work in my system??

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Dave+, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Dave+

Dave+ Auditioning

Hello
    I must admit that all this new digital stuff can be a little confusing.I have come across a resonably priced HDTV recorder on Ebay,but don't have a clue as to if it will work for my system.I have a Toshiba 52hmx85(Canadas version of 52hmx95)and a Motorola DCT6200 digital cable box.The recorder I am interested in is the RCA DVR2160.I tried to post a link to this unit,but was not allowed.
    Any help would be GREATLY appreciated,as I would love to have this unit in time to record my Seahawks in the SuperBowl !!

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Welcome to the forum Dave.

First a few comments about the RCA box. I don’t know anything about the quality of the hardware, but its only output is Firewire. This means that your Toshiba must have an IEEE 1394 input or you will have to find some way to convert the signal.

Next, at 180GB the hard drive is really not very big. While it will record a lot of TV in standard def, I’m guessing that you will be limited to well under 20 hours of HD TV.

Of course, money is always a consideration, but if you want to wait for a box with a bit larger HD, wait for a new model to be introduced. Of course if your TV does not accept a Firewire connection, it probably makes sense to buy a box with an output that matches your TV in any case.

3. John S

John S Producer

Deleted