Will these work with an HDTV set?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lydia G, Feb 18, 2001.

1. Lydia G

Lydia G Auditioning

We are finishing our basement and want to get everything right the first time. We are looking at a Toshiba 65x81 TW HDTV and don't know what else to add to it. We currently have Directv and will have to get another receiver so we can watch TV downstairs. Will this RCA HD decoder act as a receiver for our current dish as well as decode local OTA programming we receive? We might add the elliptical dish later. We just want to make sure that our current dish will work with it also. 2nd question) We want to have a system that plays mp3's. I saw a Harman Kardon progressive scan DVD that encodes mp3's, but if I put more money into a receiver that encodes mp3's, will I be able to find a DVD player that can play mp3's on a CD-r or CD-RW and then let the receiver do the encoding????? I don't know which way to go. I hate to spend so much on a DVD player now, because I want to be able to get a great one when HD-DVD's come on the market! Help!!!
    Lydia G

2. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    First off welcome to the Home Theater Forum.
    The RCA DTC-100 will work with your current dish, but will not recieve the OTA HD signals or the HD broadcast from DirecTv. All you will be able to get is the same SD content that you got before. As for connecting it to the Toshiba HDTV you will need a VGA to component adapter. The reason is that the Toshiba only has a component input and the DTC-100 only has a VGA output (it does have the s-video output but it will not send out the actual HiDef signal). You might want to look into the Toshiba DST3000 or a Dish 6000 with the 8VSB module, both of which have an HD component output. I happen to have the later and it works great on my TW40X81. However, to get the Dish 6000 system to work you must install the Dish 500 dish and subscribe to their programming packages which is redundant if you plan on keeping DirecTv.
    I'm a little confused as to your second question, but I'll give it a shot. In order to play MP3's on your home system all you will need is 1) a player that can decode the mp3 tracks and 2) a player that can read CD-R & CD-RW. You won't need to purchase a new receiver as the decoding should all be done by the player. I haven't heard of a DVD player that can do this yet. Try posting a message in the Hardware section of the forum since that is really the section for this type of question. But as for HD-DVD I wouldn't worry to much about it. With all of the legal ramblings about encryption HD-DVD is at least 2-3 years away. Thanks, Chris
    ------------------
    Home Theater: http://www.ig-88.net

3. Joel Smith

Joel Smith Agent

Chris, Last time I checked, which was this evening while watching Ever After on ABC the RCA DTC-100 does pull OTA hd programming.
    Lydia as long as your local stations are transmitting digitally you will be able to pull whatever local hd programming they offer. At the current time the only hd content directv offers is hbo channel 509 and a pay per view. I have the dtc-100 and am very happy with its performance. The total cost for the receiver and adaptor will be close to $700. You can probably find a better deal over the net. By far the best bang for the buck. I have the toshiba 56x81 and these units together produce a stunning image. Hope this info helps.
    Joel

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    You can get a $200 rebate when you upgrade to an HD receiver. Just call DirecTV and threaten to switch to Dish. Tell them you can get a good deal on an HD receiver as a first time customer. Whine and moan a bit and they will put a note on your account authorizing a $200 credit when you activate an HD receiver. There have been numerous reports of this on DBSforums.com.

5. Darold_Brins

Darold_Brins Agent

I don't know about the $200 form Directv, but Toshiba is offering a $200 rebate (up to $400 on select items) for the purchase of both a Toshiba DST-3000 and a Toshiba HDTV read TV (visit their website for more info).
    http://www.toshiba.com/tacp/categori...nusdouble.html
    Darold

6. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

Lydia,
    Chris is mistaken when he says that you can't get OTA with the DTC-100. I have the DTC-100 also and get excellent reception. I get four OTA digital stations from Boston about 35 miles away and a fifth to start soon. OTA HD looks great. I use the RCA transcoder ($129), connect the DTC to that, and get component out to my Mitsubishi TV. This set up will work fine with Toshiba TVs through their "colorstream" inputs. There was a post either here or at avsforum that Circuit City is now selling the DTC for $439. Even with the transcoder that makes it much cheaper than the Toshiba box. Some people have had problems with the Toshiba, others like it. To get the latest software update for the DTC it must be connected to the 101 satellite. To get HD HBO and PPV (or the demo) it must be connected to the 119 satellite, so the ellipttical antenna makes a lot of sense.
    As to DVD's playing CD-R and MP3, it is my understanding that APEX DVD players which are pretty inexpensive do this. There is a Denon progressive DVD player due out any week now that is to do this as well with progressive DVD output.
    Enjoy your theater.
    SMK

7. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S

8. Lydia G

Lydia G Auditioning

Thanks alot for the great replies! I have so much great info! I think I am going to try to squeeze the $200 rebate out of Directv and get that receiver if they give me a break. On OTA signals, if I live almost 100 miles away from Cincinnati will I still be able to pick up signals with an antenna? We live out in the country, so we can't even get cable. You can pick stations up sort of with just rabbit ears in the house, but it's kind of fuzzy. If you have something a little bigger it's easy to pick up.
    As for the DVD dilemma- I might try to see what this Denon is going to do. It sounds pretty great. If I bought a receiver that encodes mp3's, does that mean that I could get any DVD player that played CD-R's and even though the player couldn't read the mp3's off of it, it would still send the signal to the receiver where it would be encoded there?
    Thanks,
    Lydia G

9. Lydia G

Lydia G Auditioning

ok....after all of these questions, I have a few more! The only thing left other than deciding on what kind of receiver to get are the speaker problem. We want good speakers, but we don't want to spend an absolute fortune! We were suckered into a few of the little Bose cubes a few years back, so we have 2 of those and a Bose subwoofer. Will any of these work with our upcoming system as long as we find some other good speakers? Or should we keep them upstairs and go out and buy all new speaker system with all the same speakers?
    Thanks again!
    Lydia G

10. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

Lydia:
    Most HD/digital TV transmissions are UHF which travel longer distances better than VHF. Even 100 miles from the transmitting tower many people have good look with bow-tie or yagi antennas in the attic or on the roof with or without an amplifier. Silver Sensor seems to be the brand people think is working best. There is a lot of info on antennas and amplifiers in avsforum's HDTV hardware section. Remeber that with digital transmissions the problems with reception are different from analog. Digital has no snow. It's either all or nothing (meaning signal break up). Hopefully you'll be in the former category.
    As far as the speakers, you have opened up an entirely new can of worms. There is a tremendous amount of info on speakers here in the hometheater hardware section. Search there. I can tell you that the people here are not big Bose fans, and most seem to think that for home theater the best results are from having five identical speakers for the fronts, center, and surrounds, with a subwoofer. My advice is not to take everything here as gospel and go listen at a number of good a/v stores.
    Good luck.
    SMK