will these work for surrounds in a 7.1 system.......

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Chris Brock, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

my wife and i are currently building a new home. it has a 2nd living room that we are pretty much dedicating as a HT room that measures 21' x 18' x 8'high. We would like to use in-wall speakers for the surrounds and we are on a budget. would a couple pairs of these work well for the surround channels or should i look into somthing else?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=9351&DID=7

the reciever will most likly be a HK 525 or a yammy 1400. All of the front stage I custom built using Vifa and Morel drivers. the sub is also custom with a Dayton 15" DVC seeing around 400wrms.

thanks for any help!!

2. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

any comments at all?[​IMG]

3. BillSune

BillSune Agent

chris,

personally i would never have inwall speakers as a surround speaker or as any speaker in a home theater environment. Number one reason why is that you won't get the same matched sound quality as if you used the same types of drivers and tweeters. Number two reason is that inwall's just won't give you the same type of imaging that a bookshelf speaker will give you.

I would say that if you were going to do surround and you custom built your fronts, custom build the surrounds as well so that way you will have all the speakers be timbre matched.

Are you doing 5.1 or 7.1

Bill

4. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

really? i didnt think the surround would be a critical as the front stage. woudl these sound ok at least or shoudl i totally look into a different route? i really woudl rather not have to hang 4 speakers on the walls of my new house.

5. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

I don't think surrounds are that big a deal as the front either. I have Paradigm Studio series in the front/center and then I use Atoms for surrounds and it's fine. If you want absolute-no doubt-best sound, then you have to match the surrounds with the front...but most people can't even tell the difference.

6. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

i think i will give these a shot then. they should be abel to provide all the output i would ever need for surround plus they will not be to noticable. it was alredy hard enough to get my wife to agree to the sub and main towers!![​IMG]