Will these people finally succeed in series television?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad Porter, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

Scannning the fall TV schedules, I noticed several performers who have had "failed" series in the past ten years are back on the tube in new shows. Is this a new "recycling" program, or are any of them going to be in a hit series this time around?
    NBC:
    Jere Burns
    Former Series: Bob (1992), The Mommies (1993), Something So Right (1996), was on the successful Dear John in the late 80s
    New Series: Good Morning Miami
    Paula Marshall
    Former Series: Wild Oats (1994), Chicago Sons (1997), Cupid (1998), Snoops (1999), Cursed (2000) (which became "The Steven Weber Show" before getting cancelled)
    New Series: Hidden Hills
    Rena Sofer
    Former Series: Oh Grow Up (1999), Opposite Sex (2000), The Chronicle (2001), she also spiced up Ed in the first season as a guest star
    Joining the cast of: Just Shoot Me
    Mark Feuerstein
    Former Series: Fired Up (1997), Conrad Bloom (1998)
    New Series: Good Morning Miami
    Jason Gedrick
    Former Series: Class of '96 (1993), Sweet Justice (1994), Murder One (1995), EZ Streets (1996), Falcone (2000), The Beast (2001)
    New Series: Boomtown
    CBS
    Eric Close
    Former Series: McKenna (1994), Dark Skies (1996), The Magnificent Seven (1998), Now and Again (1999)
    New Series: Without A Trace
    Traylor Howard
    Former Series: Boston Common (1996), Two Guys, A Girl, and a Pizza Place (1998) (rebranded without the pizza place - could be considered a hit if your standards are low enough)
    New Series: Bram and Alice (also with Michael Rispoli and Alfred Molina)
    ABC
    Bonnie Hunt
    Former Series: Grand (1990), Davis Rules (1991), The Building (1993), The Bonnie Hunt Show (1995)
    New Series: Life With Bonnie (also with David Alan Grier)
    Personally, I'm rooting for Bonnie Hunt (I think she's hilarious) and Rena Sofer (sooooo pretty!), but I think Jason Gedrick should be put out to pasture if Boomtown doesn't succeed. Maybe he and John Tenney can get together and share series cancellation stories. [​IMG]
    Brad

2. clemente

clemente Agent

Hey Hey Hey.....Jason Gedrick has had the misfortune of being on some quality series that everybody collectively decided not to watch.

Since it has the coshy timeslot and the sitcom creators of the moment my monies of Good Morning Miami working out for Jere Burns (I like Something So Right) and Mark Feuerstein.

I'm personally rooting for Paula Marshall. She's just had the misfortune of landing on series that everybody collectively decided not to watch because they weren't any good! Save her stint on Sports Night.

3. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

David Alan Greer? He's the kiss of death. He is the shark in "jumping the shark" (even more than Ted McGinley). Just ask any of the Wayans brothers.
    One show I really liked was Chicago Sons - I thought it was a very underrated comedy.

4. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

Of all the series listed above, I was most disappointed in the cancellation of EZ Streets, Cupid, Now and Again (at least Dennis Haysbert landed on a good show), and Davis Rules. These were all very good shows that just couldn't draw a steady audience - although I think that the networks pulled the plugs too early (isn't that always the case).

Maybe they should all go to the WB. It's worked out reasonably well for Lauren Graham (four cancelled series and the destruction of Newsradio before landing Gilmore Girls).

Brad

5. Rob P S

Rob P S Cinematographer

rob
    Jon Tenney is a good actor who can't seem to land in a hit series - not for lack of trying. "Brooklyn South" and "Equal Justice" were good shows that most people didn't care about. Bess Armstrong has been in four flops, and she's back again this fall in "That Was Then".