What's new

Will there ever be Japanese-style RPG's for the XBOX? (1 Viewer)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I own and XBOX and love what the machine can do. I enjoy the heck out of HALO, BUFFY and JSRF. However I don't think I'll ever be 100% satisfied with it until I can play a decent console RPG. I tried MORROWIND, but found it cluttered and waaaayyy too open-ended for my tastes. Is there hope? I'm not going to go plop down another $200 for a PS2 when its only advantage (to me, anyhow) is the number of RPG's available. Please! Someone give me hope!!!!

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
There is an Xbox game coming that sounds almost exactly like "Final Fantasy". "True Fantasy" or "Final Fantasia" or something...let me dig up a link...

[edit] Here it is, True Fantasy Live Online. Didn't realize it was an Xbox Live MMORPG. Even better!

StevenK

Second Unit
I'm sure Sega has something in the works. Maybe the next Grandia or Skies of Arcadia. Don't worry, the XBox is still young yet.

PS. Have you seen the Ninja Gaiden trailer...it's not exactly and RPG, but it's definitely japanese and it definitely kicks @ss.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Actually, I was going to offer the same advice as JamesH (although perhaps a bit more wordy!). In all seriousness, for less than the price of one new XBox game, you could probably get a PS1 and a copy of Final Fantasy 7 or 8. (They run about $50 and $15 new, but you could always get 'em used for less.) There are lots of other Japanese RPGs available for PS1 for under $20.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure Sega has something in the works. Maybe the next Grandia or Skies of Arcadia.
Sega have zero input into which platforms the Grandia games go onto. As for Skies, let's see how the GC version does.

I think JamesH's reply is the best advice - the PS2 really is the platform of choice for Japanese RPGs.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Well, not to draw out the point too much, but the Japanese are all over the X-Box like capitalists on communism. Ergo, production of RPGs is not likely to shoot the moon any time in the near future.

Hey, I empathize though. As a Cube owner, I have a choice between..... and ..... Yeah. Needless to say I will definitely be supporting Skies of Arcadia :p).

As Brian and the others have noted, if you want the Japanese RPGs, shell for the PS2. Or, if you just want a fix, get a PSOne and pick up a buttload of the classics. I hang on to my PSOne specifically so I have a venue for Chrono Cross and the old Final Fantasy games.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Sudeki is British, but they are doing their darndest to emulate the Japanese rpg style. Hopefully they'll pull it off. I've heard that many times before though...

Is Rare's Kameo an RPG?

I'm hoping for a Grandia somewhere along the line, but the Magic 8 ball says:
Link Removed

-Dave

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Yup. Your best best is picking up a PS2.

And if you think Japanese RPGs are PS2's only advantages, then I suggest you take a deeper look. You'll be in games up to your eyes, especially if you enjoyed the action games you mentioned.

Calvin_Su

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah PS2 is also good for action games. MGS3 is coming out next year. This year, it has Zone of Enders 2 and Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven are looking sweet. Metal Gear Solid 3 is coming out eventually too.

For RPGs, it already has FFX, Suikoden III, and Wild Arms III. This year, Star Ocean 3 and Breath of Fire V will be coming out. FFXII has already been announced for 2004.

Oh, and ps2 is also backwards compatible so you can get all the ps1 RPGs for it.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Thanks James. The thought and effort put into that reply truly humbles me.
Were you expecting a dissertation? You can go to most any pawn shop and pick up a Playstation for around $20(maybe $30 if the pawn shops in your area are run by pricks). You'll also most likely find games like Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9, tactics, and maybe something rare like Suikoden 2 if you're lucky, for in the neighborhood of $5-$10 each.

I'm sorry if my idea, which would give you a new system and 2-3 great RPGs for around $50, wasn't good enough.

Calvin_Su

Stunt Coordinator
Oh yeah Xenosaga. I can't believe I forgot that one. Xenogears is one of my favorite RPGs ever.

Also, the 3rd game in the Chrono Trigger series, Chrono Break, is most likely gonna be on PS2. I think it will be revealed at E3.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
So what we're saying here, pretty much, is that if you like RPGs, and especially if you like Japanese RPGs, PS2 is the system to have.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Yes, but then you miss out on all the pretty graphics and new RPGs.

And, most importantly, Lulu's succulent... erm...

what was I saying?

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
Chances are (and I could be wrong) the Japanese-style RPGs that do come out on xbox might not be at the same level of quality you expect from Square, for example. Xbox is not doing well in Japan, so it just seems likely that you won't see any high caliber cRPG titles from over there.

But then again, I feel that Japanese games in general have been getting progressively generic, derivative and unoriginal - this coming from a Japanese guy :)

Eric C. Mylonas

Stunt Coordinator

I think this is a malady that afflicts all games, regardless of the region in which they were developed.

Or it could just be that I'm jaded.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks