What's new

Will there ever be a TV (40"+) that can look good as a computer monitor? (1 Viewer)

DavidSeyba

Grip
All of the TVs out there, from what I see, cannot display text well, and do not show sharp textures in computer games.

Will there ever be a large TV that can do that, or are there models that can do that now?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
My projector has a 6 foot wide screen and does 1024x768 as good as, if not better than, most monitors.

-vince

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

I guess it depends on what you you're looking for. If you want something comparable to a modest computer monitor, then as Vince points out you can get there with a projector or with some of the new HDTV sets (with DVI inputs). The Sony Grand Wega LCDs have around 1300x700 resolution. But most monitors handily go much higher than that. I run a four year old 17" Trinitron at 1600x1200 at home and at work my dying Princeton 17" runs at 1280x1024.

I don't know of any large screen TV in the sub-$3000 that can provide the high-resolutions of a normal 17" - 21" CRT monitor.

DavidSeyba

Grip
Vince, how does it handle higher resolutions? What model is your projector? Finally, does it have any problems with the 'rainbow' effect or ghosting or anything such?

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
A 40" CRT would weigh a ton and take up quite a bit of space.

I read that the Samsung DLP's (43", 50", 61") do HTPC quite nicely. They have a native 720p resolution.

DavidSeyba

Grip
The most important issue for me is that I can read text at a decent resoltion (1028x768), and have sharp textures. I also do not want any ghosting as that drives me insane.

I don't know if I want rear projection, or DLP, or what. So many terms I'm afraid the knowledge so I can make a decision would take me months.

Jonny K

Second Unit
There currently exists no large-sized monitors or display devices that can rival the quality of a standard monitor (that I know of). I expect this to change in the future...but not yet.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

It doesnt do higher resolutions- it's dlp with a fixed panel of pixels, so it (like a lcd monitor) supports one resolution without scaling, 1024x768.

No ghostng, however DLP does, in theory, have the 'rainbow' effect- although oddly the majority of people who ever seem to wonder about rainbows are those who have never seen dlp and have no idea what the rainbow effect is...

-Vince

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've seen the rainbow effect on some DLP projectors. If you're someone who is bothered by the flickering of fluorescent lights or a 60Hz monitor rate, try before you buy a DLP.

An easy way to create the rainbows is to wave your hand, fingers spread, in front of your eyes while watching the DLP display. I've also caught it when blinking and in my peripheral vision.

I don't think the rainbow issue is a big deal, but it's worth checking out before buying.

Aaron_*P

Stunt Coordinator
I have HTPC inputed to my Infocus Screenplay 7200 and the picture is beautiful. The native resolution of the infocus is 1280X720. I get horrible headaches from the flickering of conventional crts and before I got the projector I had been using my LCD monitor which also helped a fair amount. I've seen the rainbow effect once on this projector after about 6 months of deligently looking for it (the projector does have a 6x color wheel which helps). If your concerned about the rainbow effect just don't get the infocus x1 or anything else with a 1x color wheel.

DavidSeyba

Grip
I have an Ultimate Electronics and a Best Buy in my town.

What models should I go check out? I wonder if they would show me what it looks like on a computer or if they are too brain dead.

Jonny K

Second Unit
Asking what models you should look at is like asking what car you should buy. It's kinda hard for anybody to say.

Simply look at the models that fit your criteria - namely, they do high resolutions. That means you'll certainly want something that will do HDTV resolutions.

Good luck.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Do you want to display a computer screen in a larger format only? I mean, is that your priority? Or are you after a home theater type setup where viewing a computer at high resolution is just one more thing you want to do?

Personally I'd suggest going with front projection in either case, really, I'd just suggest different projectors depending on what you want to do with it.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I'm holding out for the roll-up OLED displays myself...but that will probably never happen. Grrrr.

Front projection is pretty much you're only bet for a good quality high-resolution display. However, supposedly the Samsung rear-projection 42"+ DLP displays have 1280x720 resolution. Has anyone tried them with a 1280x720 VGA/DVI input with a PC?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks