Will there ever be a lightsaber duelling game?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Lowe, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

If there is one game I pine for in life, one true nerd fantasy that I have, it's to own a real lightsaber. I've always had a fondness for sword duels in films, most of my favorite films feature them in some form or another.

I would pay a ridiculous amount of money for an immersive lightsaber sim.

How close are we to having a lightsaber game that allows for any sort of really dynamic fighting? Soul Calibur is IMO as close as the limitations of game controllers can get us. I hope SC2 will take things a step further. But I don't think it will be until the pipe dream of virtual reality is real that something like what I envisioned could be made real. But I can keep hoping I'll see something like this exist while I'm still young enough to enjoy it!

2. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Obi-Wan for the Xbox has a lightsaber dueling mode that is a total blast to play. check it out.

Dean

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

BIG UP! to Masters of Teras Kasi[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Travis Kolesar

Travis Kolesar Second Unit

The PC version of Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast had everyone equipped with lightsabers as a standard weapon in multiplayer. It was possible to challenge someone to a lightsaber duel, which would remove the two of you from mass combat till it was over. While far from perfect, lightsaber combat was pretty cool, giving you 3 stances and a variety of moves for each. It's been a couple of months since I played last, but there were alot of lightsaber only games then.

I haven't heard anything about the upcoming console ports supporting multiplayer.

5. David_N

David_N Stunt Coordinator

While not exactly on a home console, DisneyQuest has a game called Ride the Comix in which you get to use a "lasersword". It's very cool. You stand with a VR helmet and hold a "lasersword" controller to bash on all the baddies that come your way. Although you don't actually battle against other people there are some computer controlled lasersword battlers. A cool thing is if you look all around you you can see the other people playing if you look toward them. It's been 3 years since I've been to DisneyWorld and that game is one of the major reasons I can't wait to go back. :b
    See:
    http://www.wdwig.com/dqfaq.htm
    Also for a picture:
    http://www.wdwig.com/dqrideth.jpg

6. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

Jedi Knight 2 - Jedi Outcast (For PC) had a multiplayer game mode called "Duel" that featured 1 on 1 lightsaber combat. You could use Force Powers as well, but many servers disabled that and you have just pure saber combat.
    It was DAMN fun, and some players required a lot of skill to beat. Although I'm not purchasing JK2:JO for any home console, I hope they include it in it's release. I'm sure many people would have a blast dueling their friends in it.

7. Romar Armas

Romar Armas Second Unit

SEGA's Star Wars Arcade game had this light sabre "controller" that you hold onto and fight in the game. Looked really cool.

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Jedi Outcast is the closest you're going to find methinks. Saber duels are amazing in it

The home versions feature split-screen multiplayer only

9. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Wasn't there one on the Atari 2600?

10. Jeff Kleist

That was a "block the training ball bolts" game that used the paddles

11. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Atari Game was Star Wars Jedi Arena.
    Yes, I do own it [​IMG]

12. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Yeah the SW Arcade game has a level where you can fight with a lightsaber. I think it was the ROJ part of the game. They have this machine at a Nathans i go to. I play everytime i go :) but i usually play the ANH death star.

Capt

13. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

Joey,

Which Nathans would that be? There's a Nathans fairly close to me I go to sometimes, and they have an arcade also. I'm wondering if we're talking about the same one?

14. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Its the nathans out in Westbury/Garden City in Nassau on Old Country Road . Its right by bestbuy, roosevelt field mall and a ton of other stores

capt

15. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

Ok, apparently there are more than one Nathans with an arcade in it!

I was thinking about the one up on Central Avenue in Yonkers. That's about the last arcade I know of around here.

16. Jeff Kleist

to warn you, the lightsaber part is basically it blinks a direction and you push that way (Dragon's lair style)

it's nothing like Jedi Knight

17. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

i know the one your talking about

capt