Will there ever be a definitive Stooges Collection? Yes! See Post #60!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Blu, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I have been holding off buying any of the Stooges releases in the hopes of a future definitive collection.

Are there any hopes of this or should I just bite the bullet and get what is out there now?

2. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

Let's hope so.

Hey, Columbia, if you're listening: I'm no longer buying any of your over-priced and crummy "themed" Stooges DVDs. And I will certainly NEVER waste my money on your colorized atrocities.

However ... if you get your act together and release every black and white short in complete box set collections like: "The Complete Curly Collection, " "The Complete Shemp Collection" and "The Complete Joe Besser Collection" -- THEN we'll do business.

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Columbia would make a fortune if they went with some "complete" volumes. Perhaps they could go for collections patterned after Warner's Looney Tunes sets. Have about 30 shorts per sets, all digitally remastered in HD (like the two colorized 4-short discs). Add commentaries, featurettes, etc. Heck, maybe even some intros by Mel Gibson.

4. Planet_jake

Planet_jake Extra

I always thought it would be neat (And economical) for Columbia to release A Stooges Collection by year for example; The Stooges of 1933 Collection (let's say each one a two disc set)I always thought that would be the most obvious way to do it...

5. Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack Second Unit

I'm not sure that Columbia has the final say on what comes out. I know that in the past, Norman Maurer, Moe's son-in-law, was in control over all material-Stooge. Anybody know if this is still the case?

6. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I think Maurer is in charge of everything Stooge-related other than the films themselves; Columbia has the rights to do what it wants with the actual films. But I think they're also careful not to piss off the heirs, since that would be bad press (Bela Lugosi Jr was in the ownership mix once too; not sure if he still is).

7. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I was jsut talking about this with a friend of mine. Neither of us can bring ourselves to pick up these crap releases, but we would buy propperly done collections in a heart beat!

8. LaurenceGarvey

LaurenceGarvey Second Unit

I dunno about a "definitive" release collection (wouldn't THAT be nice); it seems to me that rather than taking a chance with all-Shemp or all-Besser releases that are going to undersell the Curly years, Columbia would be just as well-served releasing a disc with, oh, 4 Curlys, 2 Shemps, and a "bonus" Besser, varying the mix once in a while, until everything is out. Or maybe releasing six new Stooges discs at once, and when you buy 'em in the boxed set version, you get a bonus 7th disc of Besser shorts. (Personally, I'd rather the bonus disc consist of the other Columbia comics, such as Vera Vague, Vernon & Quillan, Charley Chase, or particularly Andy Clyde).

In any case, I want to sincerely thank all of you Stooge fans who had taste and brains and respect enough to skip that horrid colorized crap.

(Now where, oh where, is a crisp B&W anamorphic widescreen THREE STOOGES MEET HERCULES, eh?)

9. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Yes, Laurence, I agree that to the "public at large", the Curly release would outsell Shemp/Joe Besser/Joe De Rita, though a Shemp release would probably do alright.

As you (and someone else) alluded to, a Looney Tunes Golden Collection-type of release, with a mix from all eras would probably generate more money (and support future releases better) than a chronological or all-Joe, all-Shemp type of product., though "all one Stooge" collections would probably be what the hardcore fans (like myself) would prefer.

As for extras...there's always the Ted Healy Stooge shorts, and I think there's some colour 8 or 16mm footage of the Stooges out there somewhere (I'm thinking from live performances in the '60s. I know I saw some of this on a documentary sometime). Trailers for their feature-length movies would make a nice bonus, too.

10. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Second Unit

Although I like vintage comedy, I can't say that the Stooges' style is particularly my favorite. But, I did grow up watching all those shorts, and they do hold quite a bit of nostalgic sway with me. I would find nice, complete chronological sets to be too enticing to pass up. I'm certainly not buying any of these sets we see available now, with just a few haphazard shorts for a very high price. That's for sure.

On the topic of other Columbia shorts, I'd undoubtedly be even more interested, as they are items that I've never been over-exposed to, through the years. I tend to like the Andy Clyde shorts I've seen (especially his 1930s ones). Also, the Harry Von Zell ones seemed pretty nifty, and a cut above most of the other series.

11. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

Don't forget that there are only 16 (I think) Besser shorts, so that's easily able to be placed on one single or double-disc lower-priced collection.

12. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

Warner Bros. (from the MGM catalog they own) owns the Ted Healy shorts.

13. Matthew H

Matthew H Second Unit

I'm a frequenter on the Three Stooges Online Filmography Message Board..

Don't expect a definitive Stooges collection anytime soon. Infact, don't expect any more Stooges released for awhile. After the failure of the colorized discs released this past August, Columbia is convinced there isn't a fanbase for them. I own all the discs, but damn I've spent a lot of money. We don't even have a fraction of the 190 shorts on DVD. What a joker.

On a brighter side.. Spike TV obtained TV rights for the Stooges away from the horrid, horrid AMC. They're launching them with a marathon on April 1st followed by weekend broadcasts. I can't wait for that.

14. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

How incredibly stupid can a studio get? I would gladly pay for proper cleaned-up & well-priced stooge collections, but Columbia refuses to do so, and then thinks that there is no market. Stooge memorobilia sells like crazy, yet there's no market for the films - real solid logic there.

Personally, I bought the first 3 DVDs before realizing how much I was being ripped off.

..and I would be first in line for a complete "Shemp" collection. Personally, I put Curly & Shemp at the top of my favorite stooge list.

15. PeterMano

PeterMano Stunt Coordinator

They need to do a remastering job on these shorts. Some are in very bad shape. I've got two of the discs and I know I got ripped by columbia. Might have to become a marx bros fan instead.

16. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Well if Columbia didn't learn the lesson from the time that Turner tried to colorize old movies then I see little hope if they are basing it on sales of colorized Stooges dvds.

I guess we may never get a set I would give a lot of money for!

17. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

The colorized discs were a problematic issue that really was probably a mistake. On the one hand, giving the materials the attention necessary to allow colorization allowed them to do a very nice restoration---the shorts on these discs look great in their B&W versiions.

But I think colorization still has a negative stench to it, and you're only getting 3 or 4 shorts to a disc, so the value really isn't there at least from a casual viewer's perspective. Essentially, they alienated both the fan and the casual viewer in two different ways. They'd have been much better off just restoring the shorts and releasing them 6 to a disc & made everyone happy and sold lots of DVDs.

18. Scott Ruhl

Scott Ruhl Agent

I've passed on all the releases thus far but would pick up complete cleaned-up sets ala, The Complete Curly, or the complete Shemp. I also like the idea of releasing sets chronologic by year.

~KGF

19. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Yeah, as a major Stooges fan, I'm steamed at the way Sony has shafted us, particularly with the colorization "effort" and their rationalization that since it didn't sell well, it was that people don't like the Stooges and not, say, BECAUSE THE DAMN THINGS WERE COLORIZED AND HORRIBLY OVERPRICED FOR A COLLECTION THAT INCLUDED ONLY ONE OR TWO NEW-TO-DVD SHORTS PER DISC.

Okay, Lewis Black-style rant over.

20. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

Speaking for myself, much as I like Curly I'm just sooooo sick and tired of the same old shorts cropping up. You know the drill ... stuff like:

A-PLUMBING WE WILL GO
    UNCIVIL WARRIORS
    VIOLENT IS THE WORD FOR CURLY
    AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE
    (blah.. blah... blah...)

And for Shemp, there's more to have fun with than just BRIDELESS GROOM, FRIGHT NIGHT, HOLD THAT LION and MALICE IN THE PALACE...

What I wouldn't give to see more obscure shorts like:

GYPPED IN THE PENTHOUSE
    SCHEMING SCHEMERS
    SPACE SHIP SAPPY
    QUIZ WHIZ

Come on, Columbia -- let's do complete sets by Third Stooge.