Will there ever be a better version of "Lonesome Dove"?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jonny P, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

This ranks as one of my all-time favorite westerns in any format.

I own Artisan's DVD-18 version, but am wanting for something better (am I asking for too much?).

The picture quality is okay. The sound is okay.

I just feel that there could be a new transfer and 5.1 sound for a future release.

Also...part of me is perplexed at the reasoning behind making it a DVD-18. I supposed I just don't understand why they couldn't have taken each of the four parts of the miniseries (running at around 90 minutes a part), and put one part on each side of a disc rather than cramming both parts on one side of the disc.

Again, even though it was a "TV miniseries" I still believe it to be one of the best (if not the best) westerns ever made. The acting and storytelling are exemplary.

I just think that Artisan could have done a better job on this set.

Please...let me know if I am totally off base here...

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Lonesome Dove came out at the same time The Stand did, when Artisan was flirting with DVD-18

I believe both have now been released on 2 DVD-9

3. MichaelW

MichaelW Stunt Coordinator

You are certainly not "way" off base.

Like you, this is one of my favorite westerns, but the current DVD completely blows by current DVD standards.

HOWEVER, we must keep in mind what we are dealing with here, which was a movie made for television in 1989 and not for the big screen. I believe I read at the time it was filmed on 16mm and not 35.

The resulting image comes across incredibly soft and the sound is essentially mono. The video is certainly not helped by cramming 6 hours onto one disc.

The DVD is not horrible compared to other TV movies that have hit DVD from the same time period so I cannot blame Artisan when no one else has gotten it right, but when you compare the picture to TV shows that come out today on disc, there is really no comparison.

4. MichaelW

MichaelW Stunt Coordinator

I believe the Stand is out on 2 discs. I do not think Lonsome Dove is (but I could have missed something).

5. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    I am pretty sure the currently available DVD of Lonesome Dove, as well as Return to... are 2 disc sets. The first is in a double case and the second is in a slim double. I am guessing on the second, based on the case being rather heavy. A copy is on the way to me right now, so I'll let you know.

6. Karl F

Karl F Stunt Coordinator

I have a box set with Lonesome Dove, Streets of Laredo, and Dead Man's Walk; all 3 are two discs (6 discs total).

As near as I can tell, the full (6-hour) version of Lonesome Dove is available only as a part of this set; the one that sells seperately is, I believe, a 4-hour version.

--K

7. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Karl: The Lonesome Dove sold separately is the 6-hour version (I own it) - I am aware of no other version, cut-down or lengthened, available on dvd (or laser disc, for that matter).

8. Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Second Unit

How good is "Return" I have never seen it, but thoroughly enjoyed the original.

9. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    "Return" was made without Larry McMurtry's involvement. I saw it once, but it didn't really grab me. It felt like someone trying to imitate LD's style & failing miserably. Note that in writing the LD sequel "Streets of Laredo" McMurtry deliberately ignored events in "Return" - so "Return" is not canon in the LD universe.

The series made from McMurtry's other LD books ("Streets of Laredo" & the prequel "Dead Man's Walk") are much better. They're not LD level (what could be??), but they at least have the McMurtry feel to them. Hopefully the final LD book, "Comanche Moon" (which takes place between DMW & LD), will be filmed someday.

All this is just my opinion, of course. FWIW, I fall in the camp that considers "Lonesome Dove" the best TV miniseries ever, and probably the greatest filmed Western (including theatrical movies) as well. It's certainly my favorite Western by far. I think I'm STILL in a state of shock over the fact that Robert Duvall didn't win the Emmy that year... [​IMG]

10. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor