Will there be DVI or Firewire converters for Compnent Video?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Grady Hollums, May 10, 2002.

1. Grady Hollums

Grady Hollums Second Unit

I just bought the Toshiba 50HX81 HDTV, and I have not bought a HD receiver or dish, but play on buying one in the future (i.e. next 2-3 years)

Are they going to make some type of converter for converting DVI or firewire to component Video so I will not have to throw away my TV (or sell it to someone that will not buy it, because it does not have DVI or firewire)?

Thank you for educating a ignorant fellow THFer!

Any help and reassurance will be greatly appreciated!

2. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Grady,

I hope they do come out with one. If they don't then you know they will probably have something in the black market, they always do.

P.S.

You are going to love the Divas.

3. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

if the original signal is encrypted, it is against the DMCA to mfr, own or use such a device, even for fair use.

4. Grady Hollums

So are you telling me that if the new satellite HD set-top boxes don't have Component video then I will have to buy a new TV?
    You are not making me happy. I guess I will have to find out when the companies are making the DVI or firewire only Video connects and then I will just buy the previous years model to be able to have the component video.
    This really makes me mad. I have saved up over two years to buy my TV and now I am hearing that it will not be used for HD signals in the future due to video spec wars.
    Well, coun't me as one of the sad ones. [​IMG]

5. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

No, what he told you is that if a legit product doesn't come out, then the Koreans or Taiwainese will develop a work around, guaranteed. Fear not.

6. Grady Hollums

Ok, but I am one of those goody too-shoes and like to stay legal, but I have a feeling I might have to be a bad boy in the next 4-5 years, heh.

I could get used to that, heh, but I wonder if my church members could, heh. Thanks!

7. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

All I have to say is "he who is without sin cast the first stone"

Gaurantee most of the church members have done worse than buy an illegal tv device.

8. Jason Caudill

Jason Caudill Stunt Coordinator

I would bet that if someone can invent a device that a couple million people would plunk down $100+ or so it will be done. Kind of like a rf modulator for dvd players. Jason

9. BradZ

BradZ Stunt Coordinator

Grady,

not to burst your bubble, but even if you buy one of the current STB's with component output the possibility still exists that the satellite companies can still flip a switch and you'll only get Standard Definition out of the component outputs. DirecTV made all STB manufacturer's include this "feature" from the beginning. If DVI becomes the approved standard, component inputs will become less than HDquality.

having said that, I believe (pure opinion and speculation), that this battle is far from over and if DVI prevails there will be a phase in time table to protect those who (like you) have invested a lot of money into these non-DVI sets.

Don't Panic- enjoy your new set.

10. Andy_A

Andy_A Second Unit

that's exactly right. The new Sony receivers WILL have component video out, as well as DVI (not firewire) output. However, only the DVI will output HD (probably 720 P). The component outputs will downconvert the signal to 480 p, so no one will be able to actually record HD, which would be unthinkable. The key would be to make a device that would take the DVI and convert it to component without downconverting to 480p. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out. I'm waiting for the new Sony XBRs with DVI and 720p capability..