Will there be a 'The Aviator' CE?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Paul Sandhu, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Paul Sandhu

Paul Sandhu Supporting Actor

I was wondering if there will be a The Aviator Collectors Edition. Sort of something special like what the Pearl Harbor CE came in?

2. Patrick H.

Patrick H. Second Unit

There'd better be! I loved this film, and it's gathering momentum this awards season...it'd be a shame if it were spat out on disc in the same manner as Gangs of New York. This MUST sport a pristine transfer, and hopefully DTS as well. I don't know what Scorsese's opinion on supplements is, but there should at least be a wealth of historical material to back this up, with hopefully some production featurettes and commentary tracks as well. Who has the DVD rights to this, exactly...Warner or Miramax? That alone could make a big difference. Anyway, fingers crossed!

3. Paul Sandhu

Could you elaborate? How much of difference can it make?

I just watched the movie last night and I fell in love with it. I'm a sucker for period films, I missed out on GoNY and I made sure I didn't miss out on this one. I bet if this movie wins an Oscar for Best Picture we'll probably get a great DVD.

4. Simon Howson

Simon Howson Screenwriter

I'm pretty sure the U.S. DVD will be released by Warner, where as rest of the world it will be Miramax (which in Australia means the DVD is released by Village Roadshow).

5. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

Well thank god that Miramax won't be handling the DVD.

6. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    I thought Miramax had a little bit bigger piece of the film than Warners. Of course, it could be a Paramount/DreamWorks type-deal, where Paramount distributes it to theaters, and then DreamWorks puts it out on DVD.

I do hope Warner does handle the DVD; it will at least have a much better transfer that way, and most likely better supplements.

Very good film, by the way. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino Supporting Actor

There was a special on PBS a few years back on Howard Hughes and Hollywood. It was re-run in December and it would be a good extra for The Aviator DVD. We can only hope this excellent film gets the special treatment it deserves.

8. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I think A&E or the History Channel had a doc as well, which featured many cast members talking about both Howard Huges and The Aviator. I would be extremely surprised if this didn't appear on the DVD.

This should be a deffinate 2 disc SE if Warners are handling it. Who owns the right's to Huges films? It would be cooler than hell to do a boxset with this and Huges overe. I think Universal has Scarface, but I think they have loaned titles to Warners for their box sets before. (Isn't one of the Oliver Stone films Universal?)

9. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    Recent New Line releases have had a trailer for this so my guess would be Warner. Perhaps they'll include the documentary, SCORSESE ON SCORSESE, which aired on TCM late last year. I guess they could do a Collector's Edition, 3-disc set, ala MYSTIC RIVER and include some films that Hughes produced, three of which also aired on TCM last year.

10. Nathan V

Nathan V Supporting Actor

Great to hear that Miramax isn't handling this. That Gangs transfer looks terrible even on my 15-inch imac! I hope Scorsese does a commentary in which he's actually watching the film. (On the Gangs dvd, I'm pretty sure he isn't). Some features on how the film's look (2 and 3 strip technicolor effects, etc) was achieved would also be great.

11. Jay Gunn

Jay Gunn Stunt Coordinator

It's not confirmed yet that WB is producing the DVD, and I'm not getting my hopes up since Miramax were the domestic distributors. It would really be a shame to see such a beautifully-photographed movie wrecked by another pitiful Miramax transfer.

12. Paul Sandhu

I would love them to do what Universal did with Van Helsing. The CE had the Dracula, Frankenstein and Wolfman movies on a third disc. It would be great to get Hell's Angels, Outlaw and Scarface on the 3rd disc. Maybe even a minature of the Hercules aircraft.

13. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I doubt I'll get a chance to see it in theaters so this will be a blind buy for me - looks like a great film.

14. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

Roadshow no longer has the rights to Miramax Films. They are released by Disney (eg Kill Bill).

15. Jay Gunn

Jay Gunn Stunt Coordinator

GREAT news from DVDAnswers.com...Warner Bros. is releasing The Aviator SE on May 24th!

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?...6143&n=1&burl=

What's so great about it? It's not a Miramax DVD, so hopefully the transfer shouldn't be garbage. And since it's WB, so the transfer should be gorgeous.

Unless, of course, Miramax produced the disc, then we're screwed.

16. Ben_@

Ben_@ Stunt Coordinator

Attack of the giant head! Please WB, get someone to change that cover before this ships!

Good bunch of extras, including stuff from the History channel and other sources (IMO) beats bland featurettes for historical information.

17. JonBoriss

JonBoriss Stunt Coordinator

both the original posters were giant head posters so i doubt it will change. but as far as the extras go it looks pretty great, definite purchase.

18. Paul Sandhu

Looks cool... although I wish there was special packaging. I kind of wished they used the poster with Leo wearing the sun glasses with the reflection of the airplanes.

19. ChristianLiemke

ChristianLiemke Stunt Coordinator

DVDuell.de
    The German 2-DVD-set from Buena Vista will have additional "behind-the-scenes" featurettes about:

- art director Dante Ferretti
    - the costumes from Sandy Powell
    - the music from composer Howard Shore

and a featurette about "a musical family: Loudon, Rufus and Martha Wainwright"

Source: Area-DVD.de

20. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Same goes for the UK set (and probably any other European set released by Miramax.)

Chris