Will there be a Predator Trilogy/Quadrilogy boxset?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Frank@N, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Frank@N

Frank@N Screenwriter

I currently have the 1-disc releases of P1, P2, and AVP.

P1 and P2 have already been released as 2-disc sets.

AVP (which is clearly part of the Predator series) will also apparently be reissued as a 2-disc set.

So, in theory, a six-disc set could easily be done, with the possibility of an 8-disc set if there were another movie...

AVP leaves the door open, but I'm not sure if the movie did well enough to warrant a sequel.

Will there be a Predator Trilogy/Quadrilogy boxset on DVD?

If so, I think I'll hold off for that release.

I was able to examine a copy of P1 SE and was not impressed with the packaging.

The paper backing which has to support two plastic trays is no thicker than a typical chapter card (and I assume that P2 SE is the same).

Compared to Raging Bull SE packaging, P1&2 SEs are very much lacking.

2. ChadMcCallum

ChadMcCallum Second Unit

I doubt it. I could see Fox boxing the current Predator 1&2 s.e.'s together but a new set similar to the Alien Quad. is quite unlikely. I'd say pick up the s.e. of the first 2 films and decide if the upgrade to the 2 disc AvP is worth it once the disc is announced. If they do stick the 3 2 disc sets together you'll only save $10's at the most so it's not that big of a loss. As for a 4th film featurning the Predator I wouldn't count on seeing that either. Predator 3 was in devolpment hell for a long time and with the failure of AvP I don't think the Predator will be coming back for at least a few years.

3. Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear Screenwriter

Um, you do know 20th Century Fox already has plans for AVP 2 underway, yes? (((shudder at the thought)))

4. Frank@N

Frank@N Screenwriter

Since I was wondering about the likelihood of Predator Quad set, you can probably guess that I'm not among AVP's detractors.

My theory is that 'Alien fans' hated the movie because the aliens were mostly reduced to cannon fodder.

However, if you judge the movie against the Predator series, it holds up better (IMHO).

If you feel that P2 was the weakest in the series, as I do, then AVP is a step in the right direction.

Like many, I was expecting to hate Anderson's treatment of the franchise.

But in the extras (such as they are), he seems like a relatively intelligent fellow.

I've only watched AVP once, but it was a pleasant surprise for me overall.

I'd like to see a Predator boxset because 1) the current packaging is lacking 2) the extras could be better, especially P2.

My gut feeling, however, is that it won't happen: the transition to HD is coming and a new movie wouldn't be coming soon enough.

5. Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear Screenwriter

Personally, I'd take a thousand PREDATOR 2's to one AVP, but whatever...

6. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    What would be the fourth film that would make it into a quadrilogy? If you're talking about a second A v. P film, then this seems like jumping the gun just a bit on boxset plans that would be years away.

DJ

7. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

More than anything, I don't think the Predators movies have the same size fan base or critical 'respect' that (most of) the Alien movies have. The Alien movies warranted the boxset it got more than the Predator movies.

8. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

Yes I hated it as far as the aliens aspect was portrayed. To be reduced to being pred to feed Predator's is insane.

I agree that the Predator aspect holds up much better especially how the Predator and the girl work together since we see a little foreshadowing of this at the end of Predator 2.

As far as if Predator deserves the treatment that the Alien Quadrilogy got, the answer is "HELL NO!" The Predator series may be a good series but it will never live up to what Ridley Scott and James Cameron have done.

9. Frank@N

Frank@N Screenwriter

It's interesting to compare the two franchises...although I don't consider myself an expert on either.

The Alien franchise seems somewhat one-dimensional because the organism is limited to an insect-like social structure with no real culture or technology.

The only variation you get is the genetic contribution of the host (two-legged human/alien vs. four-legged dog/alien and so on).

In the Quad set, they talk about going to the Alien home planet; but why bother, there would be nothing there.

From a certain perspective the 'Alien series' is really the 'Human (or whoever) series', since the Aliens don't really have much to offer on their own (parasite without a host, so to speak).

The Predator series, in theory, has more to offer in that the Predators have an unknown history, culture, and technology.

What we've seen so far could be the tip of the iceberg.

A trip to the Predator planet, for example, could be interesting indeed (Predator citizens, scientist, and priests).

While AVP was fairly campy, it does refect a certain evolution in the series.

In T1, the Terminator was an in-human killer (much like the Predator in P1).

But in order to move the series forward in T2, the Terminator had to begin interacting and expanding it's ability to adapt.

In AVP, we see a situation develop where the Predators get 'over their head' and need to form a temporary alliance.

You can't really get more than one or two films out of the unstoppable, inhuman killing machine concept.

T2 evolved the concept and I think AVP did too.

10. Frank@N

Frank@N Screenwriter

As an Animal-level organism, the 'Alien-story' will always be mingled with that of sentient, interstellar races that encounter them.

Humans covet the Alien's natural weapons.

Predators use the dangerous species to train their young.

I thought the symbiotic relationship in AVP was fairly brilliant.

An 'Aliens-only' movie would be curious indeed.

The only idea I can imagine is a war between the different alien breeds (human/aliens vs. whatever/aliens).

But without any technology or transportation (or dialog, for that matter); it doesn't seem very plausible.

11. Frank@N

Frank@N Screenwriter

Funny, you mention that.

The Terminator/Predator/Alien movies have all had their great moments.

In the right hands, each series can achieve greatness.

Since he successfully did the other two franchises, I wonder if Cameron every considered doing a Predator movie.

12. Dave Simkiss

Dave Simkiss Stunt Coordinator

Dave Simkiss
    Im still waiting for a re release of the Alien 3 documentry from the quad set, uncut this time...
    I think Im gonna be waiting for a while [​IMG]

13. ChristianB

ChristianB Stunt Coordinator

Well AvP grossed about $80 million (solid hit) in the USA and Canada and will do a boatload on DVD/VHS/PPV etc etc. A sequel IS in the works. It has started a franchise now with TWO brand names. However, I think we'll see Predator 3 before another Alien film first (bring back John McTiernan).

Besides, if HOUSE OF THE DEAD 2 is presently filming - anything is possible.

Christian

14. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

$80 million is a "solid hit" for a movie that apparently cost about $65 million? I disagree. With DVD and other markets, it might turn a profit, but it definitely isn't a "solid hit"...

15. Jonathan White

Jonathan White Stunt Coordinator

According to box office mojo it has made $90 million overseas. So I think it is pretty much a solid hit already. Add DVD rentals and sales on top of this and you have a tidy profit.

16. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I'm not sure about the Quad set but on the original Alien disc Ridley Scott was discussing the "alien gunner"'s planet, in the way he envisions the events the actual Aliens are biological weapons and the derelict ship was a bomber (drop a few eggs on a planet and...) that crashed, he was talking about visiting the "gunner"'s planet.

17. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

I guess this comes down to a matter of semantics. In this day and age, I don't see a movie that earns $170 million worldwide as a "solid hit". To me, a "solid hit" needs to make $200 million+ just in the US, at least for big-budget studio product.

Look at it this way: 31 movies made more money in 2004 than AvP. That makes the flick's gross look pretty bland.

18. Jonathan White

Jonathan White Stunt Coordinator

I think people are too centric when it comes to grosses, who cares how much it takes in the US if it makes up for this worldwide. I don't think the studios care where the money comes from, especially now with so much money coming from DVD's. I think now we will probably see sequals to films getting made which wouldn't have been made 10 years ago.

I know AvP hasn't set the world alight but I think it will probably make enough money to warrent a sequal. Resident Evil only made $102 million worldwide and it got a sequel which in turn made $129 million.

19. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

Thought that the following product coming from Japan was appropriate to this thread:
    "The Alien VS Predator: Special Monster Box - a strictly limited edition set that contains every Alien and Predator film in their director’s cut/ultimate edition."

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?...5923&n=1&burl=

It's not a quadrilogy, it's a...septology?

20. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

It's $400 though. You could easily buy the entire series(quadrilogy + Avp + Predator discs) FOR FAR LESS than that.